Well here goes. My first try at a picture or two.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, Feb 16, 2005.

1. It is of a Hummingbird Hawk Moth feeding in flight. With kind permission of Janet Zinn

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BW. Bob F.

2. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Bob :

You're missing a colon ( : ) after the HTTP in the first address. The second one isn't coming up at all for me.

I went to Janet's site and found the addresses and embedded them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope that this helps (and that Janet isn't annoyed with me for doing a direct embed)

Nice catches, BTW. I get them in my yard in the late spring, and then try to decide to shoot them or the hummers...

John P.

3. Thank you very much indeed.

This type of thing is new to me, but I will get the hang og it.

Janet will not mind. She is a absolute star who is either in, or on the way soon Puerto Rico. BW. Bob F.

4. Hi John...no I certainly don't mind that you fixed the link for Bob...

Bob, the reason the second one wasn't working is because you had the file extension as .jpeg instead of .jpg You'll get the hang of it!

And the shots look great, I'm still amazed because these little guys are faster even than hummers I think. I'm not in Puerto Rico yet...leave on Saturday. I decided to bring my new macro lens so hopefully I'll have something to post here when I get back!

5. also, Bob, note that you can make a correction to your own post by clicking the "edit" button in your post. You will only see this button on posts that you entered yourself.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Janet :

Great. I just try not to "grab" photos from others' websites without permission.

Wow. I _love_ PR, having worked there on a number of assignments in years gone by. You'll have ample opportunities for some bird shots (look for some more exotic hummers !) as well as the macro shots.

We'll be looking for your Puerto Rico photos soon !

John P.

P.S. I sent you an e-mail on another matter - drop me a note back if you could.

7. Beautiful images and they must have been super hard to take. Thanks for sharing these images.

8. A little bit of information.

I hope you do not mind but I would occassionally like to give you information about the subject in the pictures I post.

HBHM are incredible insects. They are very small, 1.5 inches, yet can fly from Africa to England in a matter of a few days. Their wings beat at approx 90+ beats per second and their short straight line speed varies from about 5 to 10 metres a second. VERY FAST.

For Uncle Frank. The Hummingbird was named after the moth, as they arrived on earth millions of years before Archaeopteryx. About 200.

They are not as strong a flier as the Convolulus Hawk Moth. This one can fly from Africa to above the Artic Cirle in about 3.5 to 4.5 days.

These pictures were taken at our holiday home in LE VALLEE de VERT France. We, ( Pam and I), are off again in June for a month. Cannot wait.

BW. Bob F.

9. Hi Bob,

Great catches. Instructive informations too. Keep on posting this kind of work. As they said here in Quebec : Tonight, I will go to sleep less ignorant. Thanks for sharing.