1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Well, I finally learned the difference....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    This weekend, I finally learned the difference between a Cowbird and a Grackle (I previously just sort of considered them one breed :rolleyes: ). These shots were taken from my fantastic new blind -- the back window in my 2nd floor office!! From this vantage point, I'm half way up the tree canopy in mine and my neighbors yards, giving me an awesome perspective. Plus, I can run to the LBR whenever I need to. :biggrin:

Anyway, as I was shooting early Sunday am, I got opportunities to shoot both of these species. It wasn't until I started reviewing the results, and consulting my Sibley's, that I realized the difference. :redface:

Shot with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.4 or 1.7 TC's.

Early morning Bronzed Cowbird:
    [​IMG]

A little yawn and stretch:
    [​IMG]

Relaxing:
    [​IMG]

Shaking that booty:
    [​IMG]

Now for the Common Grackle. A most colorful, iridescent species:
    [​IMG]

A wing stretch to get going:
    [​IMG]

So neat to learn something new. :smile:

2. BillW

BillW

Apr 16, 2006
    Orlando, Florida
    Beautiful Frank;
    Great color and detail.

3. You have em both Frank. Outstanding shots.

4. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Frank, the first three pictures looks like a male Brown-Headed Cowbird. There are Bronzed Cowbird but not in Alabama. Shiny Cowbird have been recorded in a number of southeastern states.
    The last two picture are male Common Grackles (Purple Race). The Common Grackle have two race, purple and bronze. I believe the purple is more common for Alabama.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thank you for the correction Debbie. Kind of hard to tell sometimes from the illustrations in the books. If anyone would know though, it's you. :smile:

6. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Frank, I don't think I've seen that level of iridescent detail brought out on the Common Grackle. Kudos, a very fine job you did. Oh, the Brown-Headed Cowbird wasn't bad either. :biggrin:

7. Beautiful shots Frank. The colors you captured are excellent. The 1st Grackle shot is a real killer.

Louie

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Super shots Frank,

how much cropping on these shots, the D2Hs is might impressive, particularly the ISo 720 shot on the Grackle!

Sweet,

Wade

9. Looks very nice, I really like the dark mood and background....

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wade,

The shots that are in landscape format were cropped between 15 and 30%. The portrait shots were crops from landscape images, so are deeper in the horizontal direction, but similar in the vertical.

I was amazed when I saw that that Grackle shots was ISO 720. Impressed too. Looks like Ron was right about the Hs noise performance. Makes me almost forget about a D3 or Mk3. :rolleyes: 

11. Wow!! Those are fantastic Frank. Looks like your new blind gets you face to face with the birds.
    Pete

12. Nice office view Frank :biggrin:

Birdshooting with an LBR(???) in proximity, wow, that sounds great ... :eek: 

Great shots btw, even if I don't know what you are talking about :redface:

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images Flewwwwww

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Panos,

LBR = Little Boys Room (the restroom). :biggrin:

15. You captured them very well Frank

16. Nice job great shots the new vantage point loosk nice might find some other species that dont want to come down to the feeder level

17. Frank

What time will you be at the dam Sunday for the shoot?

18. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gary,

The plan is to be there by about 7:00-7:30. Not everyone will make it that early, but I hope to.

19. amazing shots Frank, you have a great angle there with the light at your back.

20. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    AWESOME shots, Frank. The colors on that grackle are amazing. Ya done good :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.