Well, I finally learned the difference....

This weekend, I finally learned the difference between a Cowbird and a Grackle (I previously just sort of considered them one breed :rolleyes:). These shots were taken from my fantastic new blind -- the back window in my 2nd floor office!! From this vantage point, I'm half way up the tree canopy in mine and my neighbors yards, giving me an awesome perspective. Plus, I can run to the LBR whenever I need to. :biggrin:

Anyway, as I was shooting early Sunday am, I got opportunities to shoot both of these species. It wasn't until I started reviewing the results, and consulting my Sibley's, that I realized the difference. :redface:

Shot with the D2Hs / 400 2.8 + 1.4 or 1.7 TC's.

Early morning Bronzed Cowbird:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A little yawn and stretch:

Relaxing:

Shaking that booty:

Now for the Common Grackle. A most colorful, iridescent species:

A wing stretch to get going:

So neat to learn something new. :smile:

Frank, the first three pictures looks like a male Brown-Headed Cowbird. There are Bronzed Cowbird but not in Alabama. Shiny Cowbird have been recorded in a number of southeastern states.
The last two picture are male Common Grackles (Purple Race). The Common Grackle have two race, purple and bronze. I believe the purple is more common for Alabama.

Frank, the first three pictures looks like a male Brown-Headed Cowbird. There are Bronzed Cowbird but not in Alabama. Shiny Cowbird have been recorded in a number of southeastern states.
The last two picture are male Common Grackles (Purple Race). The Common Grackle have two race, purple and bronze. I believe the purple is more common for Alabama.
Thank you for the correction Debbie. Kind of hard to tell sometimes from the illustrations in the books. If anyone would know though, it's you. :smile:

Frank, I don't think I've seen that level of iridescent detail brought out on the Common Grackle. Kudos, a very fine job you did. Oh, the Brown-Headed Cowbird wasn't bad either. :biggrin:

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Super shots Frank,

how much cropping on these shots, the D2Hs is might impressive, particularly the ISo 720 shot on the Grackle!

Sweet,

Wade

Super shots Frank,

how much cropping on these shots, the D2Hs is might impressive, particularly the ISo 720 shot on the Grackle!

Sweet,

Wade
Wade,

The shots that are in landscape format were cropped between 15 and 30%. The portrait shots were crops from landscape images, so are deeper in the horizontal direction, but similar in the vertical.

I was amazed when I saw that that Grackle shots was ISO 720. Impressed too. Looks like Ron was right about the Hs noise performance. Makes me almost forget about a D3 or Mk3. :rolleyes:

Nice office view Frank :biggrin:

Birdshooting with an LBR(???) in proximity, wow, that sounds great ... :eek:

Great shots btw, even if I don't know what you are talking about :redface:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom