Well, I learned a $500 lesson...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFib-911, Sep 18, 2008.

1. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I got in on the Microsoft live discount a couple of months ago and ended up with the following from the 'bay:

80-200 2.8 >> $550.
    35-70 2.8 >> $320.

Both took great pics, but it seemed the 80-200 back focused on my D80 just a bit and the 35-70 had very little resistance in the zooming mechanism. Again, overall pic quality was great.

Thinking I was a smart guy, I thought I would sent the set in to Melville for calibration/ cleaning/ touch up...

Well, $504.00 later they are on their way back to me. The estimates were unexpectedly high for apparently functioning lenses and online you can only approve or deny all charges. Quite honestly, I gladly would have paid for a diagnostic fee and be able to decide on the individual repairs. However, after speaking to a rep at Melville and waiting about a week with no follow-up communication, I just approved the estimates so I could be done with this. (Nikon did eventually reply back via e-mail, but it was after they had my repair approval and CC#)

Bottom line - I have never had any issue with items purchased here on the cafe and I will never stray again. If I cannot get whatever I am looking for here, I will save myself some money and buy new. I know nothing is foolproof, but the cafe is a great resource in many ways and I want to say thanks!

Regards,

2. So what was wrong with the lenses?

3. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Don't know yet - I am assuming there will be an invoice with the lenses that will clear things up. We'll see.

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    These were used lenses you bought?

5. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i learned that leason years ago.never send in a lens for a check up or cleaning or nuttin honey.man that extra 500 made your good deal a not su good deal at least.

6. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Afraid so...

No kidding.. could have purchased new for this amount. I figured even if it was a couple hundred bucks, it would be worth it - but not $500. At least I will be covered if I decide to go FX (read: looking for the silver lining... lol)

7. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I agree with that. Unless the lens is not working or under warranty avoid Nikon - it will cost.

8. Yup. My 80-200 AFD 2.8 took a tumble and the filter broke but everything else was fine; however the filter was bent and I couldn't get it off. I sent it to Nikon and they charged me nearly $300 to get it off.

9. While I may be totally wrong, I have the suspicion that, like in the automotive world, all potential work is broken down in minute detail and computerized. So, if you sent in a lens for repair or maintenance there's a prescribed series of std.activities that have a technician's time attached to it and are charged for by fractions of hrs with probably a minimum of 5 minutes per activity. [e.g. : re-install lever: 3 minutes or 5 [email protected] $125.00 per hr. shop rate].

10. No herman, I think you have the correct notion. I long since threw away the bill but I think they charged me $40 for parts and the rest was all labour.

11. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    I would have called them before I paid the $$.. That is smart on their part, The General public will whip out the CC with out questioning..

12. VFib-911

VFib-911

Oct 22, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I tried that as I was not too excited over the proposed repairs. Someone was supposed to get back to me with an explanation of the extent of the proposed repairs and charges. After over a week of waiting with no update, I just went ahead and 'learned my lesson' and approved the repairs as I wanted the lenses functioning 100% and back in my hands. After this much $$$, they had better be spot on!

13. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I have never had luck talking to Nikon service when I wanted an explanation of what they were doing with my equipment.

14. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Ouch, but at least they will be as new with super sharp focusing.

One lesson I learnt - don't put anything in your checked luggage, hang it around your neck if you have to. I have one PW left, it's like having one shoe, have to find the humor.

15. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I can see the itemized bill now:

1) Filter removal - $1
    2) Knowing how to remove filter - $299

Total - $300 :biggrin:

16. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    The folks at Nikon give out an 'estimate' based upon your description of the problem without even touching the product. I have sent in a TC because it does not focus consistently and they sent me an estimate for $200. I called them and asked them for details and they said that they have started this practice because they did not want their technicians spending time on opening the product if the actual repair were not to be authorized. The bad part is that once you 'approve' the repair they are free to charge you more than your approved estimate amount also. This is the part I do not like and I have requested the original owner of the TC to send in his invoice so I can fax it to Nikon so they can fix it under warranty (hopefully).

17. Heh, that is just about the sum of it. They did have to change the housing or whatever as they stated the lens now has an new serial number, but as stated that was only a $40 part. I remember there only being about 45 minutes of labour however and that took up the rest of the near $300.

They did notify me of what it was going to cost. I did it anyway because even though it still worked flawlessly I wanted it to look flawless incase I ever want to sell it. Besides they were going to ding me for shipping if I didn't go through with the repairs anyhow.

18. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    uh oh...

I just packaged up a lens and sent it in with no description of the problem really, just asking for an estimate!!!

Maybe I should have sent it to a photo-technical shop, like Strauss...

who may have had to send it to Nikon anyway....

oh we'll see...

kristina