Well, I think I've found it...

C

Clumsy Eddie

I was going to ask if it was permissible to ask questions about digital gear, because APUG is adamantly against *any* d*g*t*l questions. But since you have a DX dedicated forum, here goes.

I would like to add a digital Nikon to my gear. I've decided for my style of shooting a lower-priced camera would fill the bill nicely (not to mention the pocketbook). Which one of the newer Nikons for under $1500.00 would you all recommend?

My style of shooting is documentary, mostly. There are a b'zillion subjects where I live, and a half-b'zillion on my six acres. I'm kind of indiscriminate, but I do lean towards macro and microcosms, if that's any help.

Thanks to all who reply.

With best regards,

Stephen

I second the D7000. I'm loving mine.
I use mine for personal enjoyment. I don't make money as a photographer.

Welcome to the cafe. You'll gain access to a talented group here.

Another recent release to consider is the D5100, which has a few Dx0 numbers that rival the D7000. You can see those numbers at www.nikonrumors.com

Like the other's, I think the D7000 probably offers a few other advantages over the D5100, but it's hundreds of dollars more....so it should have some advantages.

If you need lenses too, pickup a D90 while you still can since it's a very nice camera and a lot cheaper, and then used the money leftover for lenses.

If you need lenses too, pickup a D90 while you still can since it's a very nice camera and a lot cheaper, and then used the money leftover for lenses.

That is exactly what I would do if I had some cash laying around.

D90 + 60 2.8 , previous version.

D7000 + 60 2.8 N ,current version, for a bit more money. I have this combination and love it. My FX cameras are better, but more expensive, heavier, bigger, and much more expensive. For a beginner or moderately experienced person, FX is not a good trade off.

150 mm is too long a focal length for DX as a single lens.

If 1500 is the total budget (not just camera body budget), I'd suggest a D90, Nikon 85mm f3.5 macro, SB-600, and Tamron 17-50 f2.8. That combo will get you a great digital walkaround for documentary and a great macro setup.

I'd suggest the 85mm over a 150 or longer macro because it will be easier to handhold and when you add tubes (for microcosms), you will get a greater magnification and still be able to handhold at those magnifications. I shoot a 180mm macro and can not handhold past 2:1 mag.

D7000 plus a killer prime. Might pop you just over $1500 but you should be able to squeeze in a 35 1.8 or 50 1.4 with some careful shopping. Doesn't leave much for cards, bags, flashes though.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom