Well that will teach me to be fatuous!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Feb 25, 2005.

1. On the 19th. of Feb I posted a note under 'Sorry to say.' about the arrival of my totally rubbish (according to dp trolls,) D2H.
    Well, to use a very Olde English expression I have ' Been hoisted by my own petard.'
    The D2H arrived all shiny new. I charged up the battery, getting up once every 3 minutes to see how much longer it would be. Fully charged I loaded the battery, adjusted the ISO etc. coupled the body to a 80-400mm VR to take a picture of a Rook in my garden pressed the button and S**t!!!
    No AF. Switched to manual focus and pressed the button and double S**t!! There was a CLUNK and the shutter closed at 1/15thsec instead of 1/500th. Tried again and nothing. Same faults every time. VERY VERY disappointing.
    Contacted Cameta and after a very protracted negotiation over the TOTAL COST I want refunded I have at last got what I want and the D2H goes back today for a full refund plus the return postage and the UK handling, (not customs) charges.
    Well so much for that tale of woe. I was going to but another one from somewhere straight away, but I am now mulling over buying a D2X.
    not sure if though if I can justify the extra expenditure.
    Anybody out there got theirs yet and would like to post here as to their initial impressions.

Just in case the (O/Eng.) expression is unknown to some of you it means ' to be beaten with one's own weapon.' Comes from the days when cannons were as likely to blow up and kill the engineer as to fire the cannon ball.

BW. Bob F.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    What an absolute Bummer, Bob!

Man, talk about letting the air out of your tires! I sincerely hope you get the matter straightened out, and get an example the works. It'll be worth it in the end. It is an awesome camera. Hang in there!

3. Wasn't a petard an explosive device attached to a long pole which a "volunteer" pressed against a doorway which needed to be blown in. Sometimes the pole holder was killed in the ensuing explosion, hence......

Very graphic, isn't it?

Rich :?

4. Yes it was most certainly was,

but in this case I wanted a much bigger bang, and I thought the cannon's blowback would do that!!
    Famous "Hoists" include Hugues Aubriot and Cowper Coles.

BW. Bob F.

5. Re: Yes it was most certainly was,

As I recall on of the King James's of Scotland bit the big one by standing too close to a huge cannon. Changed a lot of things as I recall.

Rich

6. Hi Bob

I may be able to help you with info on the D2X. I can post something either tomorrow or Monday depending on when it comes. The dealer is shooting for tomorrow but since it is coming from Canada, it might be on Monday. Give me a little time to get you something posted for you.

Melissa

7. Melissa you are a star.

I would be most grateful for any observations that you have.

I have been thinking about the alternatives and after I have had a LONG think and a lot more reading I will then make up my mind. Having said it is am almost certain that I will buy the D2X but not just yet.

BW. Bob F.

8. Melissa you have a PERSIAN PUSSYCAT

just like mine. Is your Samson a blue or a blue/cream? I have kept Persians for over 30 years. Emily, my blue cream, is being very vocal at the moment as she wants her breakfast. I know, LETS BE REALLY WICKED and turn this forum into THE CAT CAFE!!
    Can you imagine the forelore.

BW. Bob F.