1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Well, THAT's BIG !

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by italy74, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Here you go :wink:

2. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
  3. Well, on a DX body, it's like a 9mm fisheye.:smile:

4. Actually that is the later version. The one on sale here is the pre-AI version.

5. On any DSLR, its a broken mirror and an expensive repair :eek: 

6. I'd take a BMW 1-series first :wink:

7. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    you can get the 8mm samyang for 1% of that price:biggrin:

8. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BTW, the seller is known for offering rare lenses at ridiculous prices. Just check their other offerings. Sometimes, you get the feeling that he just wants to show what kind of goodies he has, but, of course, doesn't plan tp part from them :wink:.

9. Except the D40 I think. I read someplace that you can mount pre-ai lenses on it.

10. darkside

darkside

Jan 2, 2009
    Orlando, Fl
    A fisheye with a tripod mount...??? The real question is what's the field of view like? seeing behind yourself maybe???

11. Pianisimo

Pianisimo Guest

that's not the issue. the problem is that the lens sticks too far into the camera, so the only way to not have it hit the mirror is to lock up the mirror, a feature only on older cameras like the Nikon F.

yeah there have been a million threads about this lens...:Curved: oh well.

12. The f2.8 version is AI or AI-s, does not require mirror lock-up and should work on a D200 and up with no problem except to your bank account!

Larry

13. The OP's link shows a non-ai version that 2.8?

14. Chad

Chad

Jan 25, 2009
    Portland, OR

FOV is 220 degrees. The tripod mount is there because it was probably rarely used handheld.

I agree with what others have said, the price is ridiculous.

~Chad

15. Yes, you can mount most pre-AI lenses on the D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D5000.

Except those few lenses with a significant projection into the camera body. This 6mm lens one of those. It needs full-time mirror lockup. Nikon DSLR do not offer that feature.

16. Yes, they are rather famous for that. For a laugh, try googling "photo arsenal" "money laundering". :Sheriff:

Of course, they could just as easily be going for the long game, raising auction prices and valuations.:860:

Who knows, maybe they are employed by Nikon to rectify the embarassing situation that you can get better image quality with two decade old, second hand AIS glass than with most of their modern offerings for a fraction of the price :Whistle: :actions1:

17. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I had a chance to hold one of these in Toronto several years ago. Im sure the only reason they let the kid with long hair and a leather jacket (ME) hold this expensive lens and even mount it on my F3 was I walked into there with my Nikkor 8mm 2.8 AIS in my camera bag. Anyways the nikkor 6mm 2.8 is huge and heavy. Standing with the lens pointing forward it's mind bending 220 degree angle of view let me see my feet and the light behind my head. If I had money I would grab this lens in a heart beat. The Nikkor 8mm 2.8 is amazing but the 6mm 2.8 is sick.

18. You are right. I thought that the pre-AI version was the slower one and that the new f/2.8 was introduced first as AI. But yeas, it was introduced first as a pre-AI and then (fairly rapidly) changed to AI.

Thus, ignore everything I said before about mirror lockup. This one is a retrofocus design, so it can clear a mirror box.

Sorry to have misled people by my faulty memory.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.