Well the High Gas prices are here!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atrawick, Sep 12, 2008.

1. atrawick

atrawick Guest

A Dollar increase today at the pump! This is Crazy! What are We suppose to do?

2. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    dont buy gas until it comes down in a couple days. I'd be ****ed if my gas jumped by a buck!

3. atrawick

atrawick Guest

it probally won't come down! if it does it won't be much.

4. pr549f2678

pr549f2678

Jun 26, 2007
    central Fl
    You are right, "What do we do" ? There is nothing that we can do and
    the gas companies know this, they look for any reason to go up, they just
    said here it will go up atleast 30 cents this weekend. If it goes back down,
    it will take months to get to the level it is now.........

Phil...........:smile:

5. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I paid 3.59 a gallon on monday. Today its 4.50 for regular.

6. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    gas prices went down in cali today.. what the heck.. maybe i should go fill all my cars right now... but then i'm sure i would be adding to the panic. hmm

7. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I would go fill up. They are stores already out of gas around here! Where like 3-400 miles away from IKE.

8. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Allen, it will go down again soon. It's just the panic of the sky is fallign that shot up the prices. There's really no reason a gas station should be out of gas at this time. Nothing has changed that would have already had an effect on the gas supply except for idiots and horders who went and bought up all they could find because again, they thought the sky was falling.

9. atrawick

atrawick Guest

I know it will come down. The fuel companies are crooks.

10. I left work today to fill my tank. I caught it early enough, but still paid 20 cents more than I would've paid yesterday. $3.89/gallon so far...and rising.

11. This crap has me so pi%%ed off I could spit bullets. The gas around here has jumped from mid $3 to over $5 in some areas today, with reports of even $7/gallon in a few areas. This is nothing bur PURE profit for these gas station crooks. They didn't pay any more for the gas already in the ground, yet they're increasing the prices to these levels on a fear that Ike will do something to the refineries. I thought the government had laws against price gouging. This is ridiculous. It's funny how the gas can jump this high in a matter of hours, but once things get back up and running again with the refineries, it will be weeks to months before the prices get back down to what they were this morning, if they ever get back. Did I mention I was mad?:mad::Angry::mad::Angry::mad:

12. But it won't come down anywhere close to as fast as it went up. Buncha crooks. Gonna start getting a lot of reports of folks having their gasoline siphoned from their cars at night. Hope you all have locking gas doors or locking gas caps.

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You are well within your right to photograph the prices in the pumps and get the gas station owner's name to file a claim with your local State's Attorneys office for price gauging. When gas prices rose following the events of 9/11, gas prices soared and the local television stations advised customers to file claims of price gauging with the State's Attorney.

14. I do not know what you are complaining about. You have some of the cheapest petrol prices in the world even at your $5. If it is costing you too much then buy smaller vehicles with better fuel efficiency.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Some of the largest refineries in the country are shut down because of Hurricane Ike. Some of the largest distribution terminals in the country are shut down. Some of the largest domestic production oil wells and offshore receiving stations for imported petroleum are shut down. Gasoline is already in short supply because of Hurricane Gustaf's effects.

The United States has maybe a 2% swing in refining capacity before demand greatly outstrips supply. It's also intensely localised with effects much larger than expected if an area of the country has a loss of refining capacity. Texas is one of the critical supply areas.

We could be looking at a short to longer term hit of up to 40% of the nation's refining capacity from this event (Houston Chronicle).

Spot market prices jumped overnight, not because of some manipulation, but because the supply doesn't match the demand. Spot market prices dictate, to a very large degree, on-the-street prices. That's just how it works.

Paranoia's all fine and good, not to mention fun when everyone in a circle puts on the tinfoil hats and sings in (dis)harmony, but this one's a very real and very immediate issue not made by man.

Everyone needs to stay quite calm, send best wishes and thoughts down to the people in Texas tonight, and hope for the best with a major part of our nation's critical infrastructure at risk.

John P.

16. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    The current surge has NOTHING to do with refinery capacity. It's not crooked gas station owners either. It's the fact that people are buying up all the gas in fear, that's what has caused the huge jump in prices.

Next week, we'll probably start seeing the effects of the refineries shutting down for a few days, this week it's just all stupid panic buying.

17. When I went to work this morning it was $3.83, when I came home from work it jumped to $4.09 at the same station. Rumor around here that some stations (which I'll not mention) are limiting everyone to 10 gallons each for fear they will run out.

MikeT

18. John P had the correct answer. It is hurricane Ike...like it or not. It is not hording or buying - simply supply and demand. When you lose 25% of your refining capacity, the "belt" starts to tighten. And I have a 3000 mile trip coming up in a couple of days. Anybody got a tin cup to spare?

19. Love the gouging. I don't recall extreme gas hikes a decade ago when hurricanes rolled though. What's different?

20. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    I filled up my car this morning for $3.59 and my work van around noon for $3.64 at a different station. I have not been out and about since about 1 PM so I will be curious to see if gas has gone up here yet.

Bob