Well the high gas prices are not here and neither is the gas????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomP, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Gas prices today, in and around Macon Georgia are $3.71/$3.89.
    This past week I have had to go to 5 stations to find diesel fuel, and several stations, at any given time are out of reg. gas or mid. grade and premium. It is reported worse in the larger cities. The Governor has said it is a self induced shortage, but I have seen no lines at local stations, traffic/business seems to be at a normal rate.

Well I am just wondering how supply and demand figure into today's gas prices and availability.

I also wonder how this will affect the heating oil market, seems like this is the time of year they usualy build up fuel oil inventories.

It would seem that after hurricane Ike, we really got reamed at the gas pump. We had a thread on the subject that had some excellent input https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=188274, but now that there truly seems to be a production shortage, the prices seem to be stable. Maybe the big corporations are too afraid to jack the prices, in the shadow of this wall street bail out. What are you thoughts on this??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. I was hoping to head up to Franklin, NC in about 3 more weeks. Not sure if we will now. From what I understand, Florida uses barges to get the gas delivered, so far no shortages or disruptions. You guys get it via pipelines and trucks. No matter what, it sucks. :mad: 

3. I assume supplies will stabilize as more refineries come back on line and reach 100% production. Your trip will most likely not be affected.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2008
  4. Hopefully not. My wife's dad is in a Nursing home now. Not progressing very well since having a stroke. I would like to get her back up there for a visit.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Tom :

Regional shortages are actually following about what a number of experts had predicted after Hurricane Ike. There's a delay in the effects of supply when there's a large scale disruption like a hurricane on the Gulf of Mexico.

Prices will probably be volatile for about the reasons that you've set out in your post. The issues with the price of crude oil bobbing up and down will indeed play into this situation. There is also the likelihood that we'll see some oddities in diesel, depending on the local usage compared with gasoline.

However, from a petroleum refining perspective, short of another hurricane or a disaster like the BP Texas City refinery in '05, matters should start to even out, even if it's a longer process than most of us would like to see.

John P.

6. I filled up in South Jersey today for $3.21/gal. I'm really surprised and sorry to hear of your ordeal. I can't understand how one area that really isn't that far from here could have such a different situation as far as fuel supply. You would think that there would be an effort to redistribute to the areas where there appears to be a supply shortage.

7. Well it's not I do not understand the shortage, it really makes sense to me, that the closer you are to the affected refineries, the more likely you are to be short gas. I would assume that all areas of the country have refineries, and the diminished capacity in the gulf may not be affecting them as it did after Ike, I just do not understand why gas is so cheap here, when half the stations are short on gas. Just does not make sense to me. Of course I am happy we are not paying $4.40 a gal which now seems to have been a rip off, but when the tanks are empty, the price stays down??? Puzzling to me.

8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Tom :

Actually, refineries are distributed pretty poorly with respect to the users, and even more to the point, distribution facilities (e.g., ports for ships, pipelines, rivers for barge travel) are extremely poor for some areas of the country. As a result, shortages in refining capacity can have disproportionate effects in different areas of the country, and, depending on how the "spot market price" on gasoline goes, one sees jumps in large areas that don't always translate immediately to some other areas.

Geographical effects in the United States are also a factor - we're a darned large place !

And then, of course, we have the differences in state, country, and municipal taxes that make gasoline and diesel prices so vastly uneven in different places.

As much as we'd like to think that the marketplace in the United States is homogeneous, it's not.

John P.

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    In Georgia the gas situation is really awful, and a lot of that is due to the news telling everyone that there is going to be a shortage and that they need to get gas when they can find it. This is causing people to fill up their tanks even when they do not need to, and thus the people that are really out of gas can't find gas. I'm up in Boston this weekend and all of the gas stations up here have plenty of gas and the gas prices are right around $3.50 a gallon for regular gas. So I'm not sure why the south is having such a hard time getting gas...but they really need to work it out soon.

10. The gas situation in Metro Atlanta is TERRIBLE. I agree with Dave, it is because the news people telling everyone to fill up even when they do not need to. So far I have been pretty lucky, I have been able to find some Diesel since it isn't all that popular. Although, this morning I think I caused some poor Shell station attendant to get yelled at. Customers were mad because he let me get fuel and he told them he was out....Duh, people listen for a minute I asked specifically to pre-pay for DIESEL. As soon as a station gets a delivery here people swarm to that station to top off their tanks, and the prices aren't great I saw $4.21 for regular unleaded. I totally think it is a self induced shortage. People panic and don't think clearly about their individual fuel situations.

11. Well $4.21 a gal is not a surprise with the shortage, my OP was puzzlement over the low prices and empty gas stations. We have not seen lines or run on stations here, just normal traffic, with half the stations have shortages, in sort of a rotation. Maybe as an example, we are an exception.

Dave, I will get Purdue working on it. He says there is plenty of gas stock, but he does not have to fill his car, does he, so maybe he is listeni9ng to the wrong people?:biggrin:

12. Deep

Deep

Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    Interesting - there's no such shortage up here in Canada...

13. OK that does it, buying a snowsuit:frown: and coming north, heck Sandi (TO Lady)guaranteed me a job:biggrin:

14. Sorry to hear your fathers ill Flash, that must be hard, being some distance from him at this time. I hope he improves before your visit. I am sure you will be able to make the trip as planned.

15. Deep

Deep

Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    LOL - Just remember that we do pay more for gas too. We are paying about $4.20-$4.25 a gallon for regular right now with the exchange rate factored in :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.