1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Well this is Strange with the 28-70 f/2.8…

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by soxOZ, Aug 19, 2008.

1. I have been using my Kenko 1.4x TC with a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8D (2-ring) and it works great, but one thing it doesn’t do is show the correct FL combined. So when I use them together the EXIF data shows if it’s only the 80-200 F/2.8 and the setting it uses. If I shot at 200@f/2.8 with the TC, that is what it shows, and not 280@f/4 which is what it really is…

Now that your totally bored, this is what I found when I decide to try the Kenko 1.4x TC with my 28-70 f/2.8. I did a triple check to ensure that there was plenty of clearance between the TC and the rear element of the 28-70 at all FL’s. Can't be too careful here and rush it...
    Now this is the strange part, when I fitted it, the maximum f-stop now was f/4 on the camera which is what it should be with the TC fitted
    , instead of f/2.8. I just took a couple of shots at 70mm f/2.8 (true settings) and the EXIF data show that it was 100mm f/4 and the equivalent Focal length in 35mm film is 150 mm.
    So what extra has the 28-70 f/2.8 got over the 80-200 f/2.8 so that it shows the correct EXIF data when used with the Kenko 1.4x TC…

If someone knows the answer I would be very interested….

Here is part of the copy of the EXIF data from one of the shots with that combination…
    Software:............. Ver.1.03
    Date/time:............. 19-Aug-08 5:36:13 PM
    Lens:............. 28-70 mm
    Max. aperture value:............. f/4 (this shows f/4 instead of f/2.8)
    Focal length:............. 100 mm (This now shows 100mm instead of 70mm)
    Exposure time
    :............. 1/125 s
    F-number:............. f/4
    Focal length in 35mm film:............. 150 mm (Shows the true equivalent in 35mm)
    Exposure program:............. Shutter Priority
    ISO speed ratings:............. ISO 1600
    Exposure bias value:............. 0.00 eV
    Metering mode:............. Spot
    Light source unknown
    Flash Flash did not fire
    Scene capture type:............. Portrait
    Quality:............. RAW
    White balance:............. Auto
    ISO setting:............. ISO 1600
    Focus mode:............. AF-C
    Noise reduction OFF

2. You got it for lens with FL of 70mm fitted with TC 1.4 increase is 40% or 70 x 1.4 = 98mm or nearest, and 100mm is near enough - both in FX and DX. Why one lens display correct EXIF over other is far beyond me, best thing is to query NIKON, i take it there is support organisation in OZ.

Hope this help.

Mladen

3. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Probably because the 28-70 is an AFS lens and is more intelligent. Count the number of contacts on the 2 lenses, are there the same number ?

4. This comes from Nikon USA

AF-S Teleconverters are compatible with AF-S and AF-I NIKKOR lenses except AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED, AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mmf/2.8G ED, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED, AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED and DX NIKKOR lenses. (Please note that AF-S Teleconverters are not compatible with AF-NIKKOR lenses).

And as Adrianaitken stated it may have something to do with differences between AF-S and AF-D lenses. Just a guess.

5. Thanks for your answer guys. I not concerned about this but just thought it interesting that it showed correct reading with one lens and not another.
    I know the Nikon TC's will only work with AF-S lenses, thats why I got the Kenko as it has the screw drive connector between the camera and lens to use with my 80-200 f/2.8.

But interesting that I also use the Kenko TC with my 50 f/1.8 and this shows only the lens setting on the camera, like the 80-200...
    Both of those are AF-D lenses and it works with the AF-S lens, I don't really know.
    I may try it with one of my other AF-S lens to see what it does...
    I thought that this may be of interest to some who have the Kenko TC's.

But anyway, it work superbly on my 80-200 f/2.8, and really thats why I got it in the first place, :smile:
    all this other stuff was just for interest and a bit of fun to see what it could do... Thanks again....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.