well you guys asked for it...

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent job Scott,

They really look very nice. I especially like the sailboat. Realy nice. Print and frame.....

I really like them all. Went and looked at the full size. WOW. Interesting effect on the house painting.

Cat is really good. Looks like 3 different methods. What I like is they just do not look all the same. Well thought out process for each style of image.

Your doing great with the painting....You are a natural. Have never seen anyone take to it this quick.

2. Gale,

Wow, high praise coming from someone of your standing and reputation for having a great eye and talent as a photographer (IMHO).

Thanks Gale.

3. Scott the first one is ok but the two next are very good, The last one is a little too flashy and there's some spots to be retouched; but the colors are very good. I see in the boat picture you work a little bit the clouds, that's very good.

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like them all, but the sail boat is probably my favorite. The images are very soft and tranquil. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to have to give this technique a try someday. The perfect thing to do to help the cold winter go by. Something tells me that you are addicted to the fine art of painting your images. Wouldn't surprise me to run into you at some street fair selling fine art!

5. These are very nice, Scott! I wish we could have a Retouching Forum. There's so much to learn and so much useful info to share. It's interesting to think you can take an unsalvageable shot and manipulate it in PS and come out with a work of art, or phart, as it were! ;)

6. Thanks guys,

Kevin,

I love it, I guess that would make me a Phartist. Which means my wife has been right all these years when she calls me an old Phartist.

7. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Scott

I hope I don't offend you but I like the pictures better especially the Leopard.

8. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I love 2 & 3. Good work.

9. Really love the sailboat!

10. Fun thing to try Scott. The sailboat really came out nice IMO.

11. Scott, I like them, but as others have said #2 is awesome.

12. Thanks for the compliments from those who liked them. Hans, you are not offending me at all. I know this is not going to be something for everyone. Most, if not all of us manipulate our photos to one extent or another for example, a bit of sharpening or color adjusting to bring out the best qualities possible. Many clean up an image taking out artifacts or blemishes and others even extract the subject or elements of a photo to create more interesting backgrounds and so on.

I can't even count the amount of people who have said to me referring to an unedited photo (not painted) "is it digital or is it real?"

I am only offering these as an example of yet another aspect of what can be done with photography and the images we produce with our camera tools and imagination. Also, I am just a begginer at this and I am not an artist, so these are probably not the best examples. I just wanted to share with those who might be interested in this form of editing, what I have recently discovered and to allow them to see what might be done. I have seen examples of portraits and scenics that were painted from photos that are amazing. I think it is just so cool that we can now create what we can imagine if we can just imagine it.

I also love the fact that this is something that a non artist can do. I find it very enjoyable and even theraputicly relaxing to take ditial paintbrushes and create a personal interpretation of an image that will make it quite unique. As you may have guessed, I rather like the look. But I understand why you might not, which I guess explains why they don't have only vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

13. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I vote for the sailboat also. So did it win?

14. Well it's sure winning here. It's interesting what people like. I like the sailboat also but for some reason, I sort of liked the way the Cheetah came out. It's interesting because that seems to be the least popular from the relatively small sampling here. Oh well, just goes to show, there will always be a demand for 31 Flavors.

15. Okay, since you all like the sailboat so much, I decided to share another version of it. The previous one was in oils and impasto, this is a watercolor rendering for your enjoyment. Just to show how different mediums can have a different look of the same thing. In a way, I kind of like this one a little better. This was done entirely in PSCS2. By the way, interstingly enough, the Sept 05 Photoshop User magazine from NAPP has a cover story article on painting images in a non-Photoshop software. What is the world coming to?

Hope you enjoy. medium.

Larger version;
    http://www.pbase.com/interactivephotos/image/47209581/original.jpg

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    roflmao Scott.

lololol PHARTIST.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    i JUST SAW THIS ONE. bUT i CAN'T STOP LAUGHING..

It looks great.

you are a true and natural PHARTIST

thanks for the hysterics.

18. Gale, you shouldn't laugh.... Scott's demonstrating what a great Phartist he is. His pharts are getting better and better. :D