Went back out to the eagle nest

Yesterday after supper I went back out to Jocko Lake. Haven't been out there for a while. The last time I was out there the mother was sitting on the nest. Most of these images are cropped a bit. They were taken with the 70-200VR + 1.7 TC handheld (still waiting on the 300 f/4).

On the way out to the nest I spotted an Eastern Kingird. I don't think they go much further west than this.

45147317.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I then passed by a couple of loons.

View attachment 10848

Over the hill to the eagle's nest. I tried not to disturb them too much but they weren't too happy to see me!

View attachment 10849

Although this was in front of me, I also have to watch by back - there's two of them.

View attachment 10850

View attachment 10851

This is what all the fuss is about - one baby - not so cute :)

View attachment 10852

While I was shooting the eagles, a Northern Flicker landed in the tree above me. A bit too many branches to get a good shot but the lighting was nice.

View attachment 10853

Nice catches all Dennis. The Eagles sure did seem to enjoy your presence -- NOT!! :twisted:

Nikam said:
45147403.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

[/img]

that fourth shot with the eagle coming to get you it spectacular!
Not what I'd want to wake up to, were I a rabbit!!

I love it!

What a great series Dennis, envious..........might have to come visit . LOL!!! Never seen an eastern kingbird, cool capture, like them all!!!

Keith

Great captures... those eagles are magnificent. The shot of the eagle flying right into the sunset with beak open is my fav but they're all great shots. Wee bit of a hint: your loon seems to be headed downhill a bit. You might want to pull up the left side of the horizon, but still a great shot.

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. :) :)

I would say I was about 120 feet or so from the nest - maybe a bit more. You can walk right under the nest, but I didn't try it with the guards posted. :) When I arrived at the site, the one (the female I believe) started calling out. Her mate flew behind me and landed somewhere out of sight. I really did have to watch my back if I moved out into the open. :) :)

The nest is actually situated on private ranch land belonging to a local mine. They post the area, but its mainly to keep vehicles and hunters out. The lake is also on their property and they do open it up to fishing.

Sandi, I believe you are right, but not as much as the waves would indicate - they were coming in at an angle from a passing fisherman further out in the lake. The white reflection directly below the bird is a tad tilted and I believe it should be horizontal. I didn't notice it in post-processing - but then my post processing skills are pretty minimal.

I've still got lots to learn about using the camera too but I'm pretty pleased so far. I don't think I would have had much of a hope of getting the flight shots with my old coolpix. :) :) The noise levels seem so low in comparison that I tend to get too aggressive in the crop department and too many of my shots are underexposed.

On Friday, I'm headed out for a weeks holiday on Vancouver Island - out to Tofino right on the ocean. My plates from Kirk are got shipped today and I'm sure hoping they arrive before I leave so I can properly use my tripod :).

Thanks again for looking!

Latest threads

Top Bottom