went to Merritt Island

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Oct 11, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

I needed a change of pace

a juvenile little blue Heron
    [​IMG]

what he will look like when he grows up
    [​IMG]

a night heron
    [​IMG]

a wren
    [​IMG]

a hungry great egret
    [​IMG]

2. Hey Harry! How was the activity at MI? I went to the rookery at Gatorland this weekend and counted about 5 birds! I couldn't believe it...dead as a door-nail!

Great shots! Hope to get together soon!

3. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Merritt was pretty dead when I took these shots (9/19). It took 3 trips through. The water level is low right now so the wading birds are able to forage a goodly way off from the shore. Even with 700mm I couldn't get the shots.

4. Nice images Harry. That immature night heron shot is stunning. Excellent series.

5. Very nice I cant wait to get back down there. I had to laugh was reading a book last week called "Memorial Day" and a terrorist piloted a boat into Merritt NWR and met his ride on Blackpoint Drive, so keep your eyes open
    By the way I think your wren might be a tern...but I am no expert for sure

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2005
  6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry, Sept 19th.....??????????

water level ain't low no more.

Gotta be more birdies also.. Hear thier is a pair of Eagles around there also.

Great images..

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Harry. I really like the first, the night heron, and especially the flight shot of the wren. That's a species that I haven't seen before.

You probably have heard that Gordon L. is trying to organize a shoot down there in a couple of weeks. Not sure if I can get away (pretty busy at work right now), but it is awfully tempting. Your shots don't help any. :rolleyes:

8. WAIT, WAIT a minute!!!. Don't you know that the gas price is sky rocketting. We, birds, need a lot of fuel to get down to Florida. Budget being tight these days, we still waiting up north for a price drop. :smile: Joke aside, I spotted this GBH last weekend. Wonder why she or he's still here so late in the season. The picture was taken in Des-Prairies river, on the north side of Montreal island.

9. Nice image Dao and this guy gets to fish all alone since the others have all gone. See, he is not too dumb.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Gordon. We don't get too many night herons around here so I was thrilled to get that shot.

11. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Mike,

That's funny. He would have to be the dumbest terrorist around to boat into that area with all the security around there because of the Kennedy Space Center. :biggrin:

Can't wait for you to get your butt down here too, You're right about the tern. I meant to type tern and in a senior moment typed wren.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Yep. Sept 19th. I just finished my post work on my September shots and I now have to start on around 1000+ October shots.

13. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Not bad Harry
    Hey things are looking up you got a Juvi NH you might even get that Kingfisher yet :biggrin: :rolleyes:

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Harry,
    I know what you mean on the processing. eeeekkk

Just now finishing up a project on the shuttle launch. JULY..

I almost don't want to take any more pictures.

See ya the 27th :>))

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank. It would be great if you can get down here later this month. I have a vague recollection of this "work" thing you're talking about. As I recall I didn't care for it too much. :biggrin:

16. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent capture Dao.

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Nah, those NHs aren't all that interesting. I got some good kingfisher shots on Monday. He was roosting in THE TREE :biggrin: