Went to the rodeo... (pics)

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by sbruno, Jul 21, 2007.

1. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I went with my family and future in-laws to the rodeo in St Paul, OR, on the 4th of July. We all had a great time and I got some excellent captures. I took my D50, 70300VR, and 85/1.8, which all worked quite well. I must say, though - more reach on the 85 would have been great for when the sun went down.

So let me tell you, these guys are TOUGH. They take beating after beating and keep coming back from more. A few of my favorites with the 70-300VR:

Waiting

[​IMG]

Hang on!

[​IMG]

Notice that the horse is completely off the ground

[​IMG]

The look on his face...

[​IMG]

This guy has arms like tree-trunks

[​IMG]

Barely out of the gate and this bull is raging

[​IMG]

Reach for the sky

[​IMG]

Get me away from this beast!

[​IMG]

A little help, please!

[​IMG]

Levitation?

[​IMG]

And a couple saps with the 85/1.8:

Cotton candy, anyone?

[​IMG]

Interns

[​IMG]

Fortunately, no one was injured the night we were there - that's not always the case.

C&C welcome.

Cheers,
    Steve

--
    http://sbruno.smugmug.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for sharing your images Steve, this looks like a blast to watch and to shoot. Pending good vantage point to shoot from, a 300 or 400 and TC would yield some outstanding facial expressions and isolations. The images that you shared show an activity that most of us may never see in person.

3. Man, no wonder these guys only compete in one event per night! Ugh, those falls look like they would hurt, let alone the horns!