1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Were last year's fireworks images Beginner's Luck?

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Butlerkid, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    We shall see! This year's gathering at my neighbor's house across the street is this Saturday!

Thought I should re-visit the images I got last year.....my first year trying to shoot fireworks! (D810 and 14-24mm lens)

_KSP2697-X3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_KSP2696-X3.jpg

_KSP2731-X3.jpg

_KSP2747-X3.jpg

_KSP2722-X2.jpg

_KSP2735-X3.jpg

_KSP2742-X2.jpg

_KSP2743-X2.jpg

_KSP2758-X3.jpg

_KSP2759-X2.jpg

_KSP2760-X2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. You got some excellent photos, Karen. I don't see that you need to change anything.

3. The only characteristic we can chalk up to beginner's luck is that the clouds and/or smoke actually enhanced your images when so often they ruin them. The rest we can chalk up to your excellent envisioning, command of the camera system and post-processing.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    LOL! I'd like to believe that! But I remember too much fumbling in the dark.....and that was before we went home! :eek: 

5. Nice. I'v never tried to shot fireworks. Just keep doing what you did last year.

6. Do you remember what your settings were?

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Oh yeah! I've been studying them! LOL! I wasn't shooting wide enough.....about half of these are FULL frame. Exposure was pretty much dead on because I watched my histogram. 2-3 seconds, ISO 125 and f10. You can zoom in to each one of these and the mini explosions are SHARP even @ 100%. I simply auto focused on the first few bursts....then switched the focus to manual so I wouldn't accidentally change it in the dark. And I triggered the camera with a remote.

8. It's apparent that a small, inexpensive flashlight should be added to your bag.

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Had one! Still trying to change lenses in the dark was tough! At least for me!

10. You also need an assistant to hold the flashlight. Assistants in the form of spouses and similarly committed relationships are a lot more expensive than the flashlight in numerous ways, some of which are quantifiable and some of which are not. :ROFLMAO: 

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Yep - Justin finally had to hold the flashlight for me while I wrestled the second lens onto the body. Sounds like you done something like this before! LOL!

12. Wow! What a wonderful set Karen. I love them all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.