West Virginia Cannan Valley.

This is a beautiful area of WV and pretty close to Dolly Sods in the mountains where sunrises and sunsets are spectacular.
The first shot is from trees in the early morning fog. For this shot I copied the background image as a layer, used Soft Light in the layer's mode and finally applied a soft Gaussian Blur effect for a dreamy feel. The shot reflects the way I felt about the trees when I made the picture.

DSC_68101bampwBLUR_zps13e51707.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This second shot actually was not made in the Canaan Valley but it was not too far from it. It was rather toward the NE side of the valley if memory serves me well. I remember that we had to ride on a trail leading to the fall and then we had to walk for a short distance before arriving there. For this shot I used a polarizer at full polarization to be able to use its 2 stops factor to slow the shutter speed to about 1/2 a second. I was not very successful controlling the brightness of the water in the fall.

DSC_6915_zpse4a237a8.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Technical Data:

I used my D7000 with two different lenses, the 12-24 f4 AF-S and the 28-105 F3.5-4.5 AF-D.
I used a Gitzo GT-2541 with a RRS ballhead.
Editing of the RAW files was done with Nikon Capture NX2, Photoshop and Topaz B&W Effects 2 using a custom preset.
I used center weighted metering for both shots. Because the light was flat I did not meter from the trees, instead I metered from the fog and opened 1 stop to bring back the brightness.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Mike I thank you for your comments. When we were that early morning in this part of the Canaan Valley the others wanted to leave since in their opinion there was nothing there to photograph. Since I was the oldest of the group I figure they listened to me when I suggested to explore the area first before departing for the mountains. We all had great shots of the area and later on when we were having breakfast the guide of the group, a young man of Vietnamese origin but raised in this country thanked me for suggesting to stay. I had free breakfast that morning!
I agree with you Mike that the shot of the fall is less dramatic and although I decided to post it I was not happy with the brightness of the water as I already explained. I always take a meter reading of the brightest part of the subject to make sure I nail the highlights but I did not do it this time, my fault.
Because of the flat light I raised contrast in both shots to my taste and I can understand if they have more contrast than some would like, especially the fall but that is the way I like my b&w photography.
By the way Mike, I have been using the Zuiko17mm f2.8 with my old EPL-1 and I am very satisfied with the results.

William.

First one is very nice, William. #2, you should have had a tripod and ND filters! The comp is nice though.

Wonderful mood in the first image, William!
Beautiful scenery in the second one.

Thank you all for your nice comments.
"#2, you should have had a tripod and ND filters!" Indeed I did use a tripod, an inseparable companion in my landscape photography and I explained that in the technical details. I did not use a neutral density filter because for this type of shot I use a polarizer at full polarization to give me a filter factor of 2 stops, which I combine with a small lens opening. I think this was like a 1/2 of a sec. exposure. It is obvious that a ND filter, depending on the strength will make the water look better than here but I am honest with you, I only use a polarizer and have been doing that for years.

William.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom