1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

West Virginia Weekend - May 3-5, 2013

Discussion in 'Special Sessions, Events, and Tour Announcements' started by MParker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I am proposing a weekend in West Virginia for the weekend of 3, 4, & 5 May, 2013. Thos of us who went to the Hudson Valley last October decided we might like to try a weekend in the Dolly Sods area of WV.

As it happens, I know the family that owns a group of rental cabins on a property that borders on Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods. Here is the link.
    http://wvlogcabins.com/

We need to act quickly to get reservations established and I am not able to give a good estimate of the number of bedrooms we'll need. There is a trout fishing tournment there that same weekend but cabins are still available. If you are interested in participating please post here or PM me. I need your responses NLT than Jan 15.

2. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    I'm in! Are we talking about arriving Thursday night or Friday morning?

3. I'm in, barring sickness, death, etc... :)  Hopefully I'll be over this flu before then. I would prefer a small cabin - two beds if possible as I might be bringing a friend. Can you give us an idea about the cost?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  4. sbruno

sbruno

Jul 20, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds fantastic - unfortunately, I'll be at a wedding in LA this weekend :Curved:

5. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
  6. mysh

mysh

Jul 3, 2010
    USA
    I love this area of WV. I have gone a couple times to this area and have always wanted to go back. Last time I went I wasn't into photography yet.
    If this is possible I would highly recommend the area. Its a bit far for me

7. I definitely have an interest in this trip. I'll just have to confirm vacation days at work for this one. The cabin option looks very nice and the photo ops look very promising. I may try to add on an extra day or two before, or after to allow enough time to see and do more of this area.

8. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I am going to Cass on the 16th. Need to see what I can swing. I normally stay up in Davis.

9. This is a trip Lorrie and I would be interested in we have been Blackwater Falls before it is an awesome area. Lorrie is more of a point and shoot photographer takin pics that she then does paintings from I am guessing that wouldn't be an issue

10. GreyBeard

GreyBeard

Oct 7, 2007
    Maryland
    Count me in! I'm looking forward to it!

11. NadiaMc

NadiaMc Guest

I'm in. I am happy to share a room if that helps.

12. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Awesome, Nadia! Glad you'll be joining us. :smile:

13. If you go to Black Water Falls, visit Lindy Point. The view is worth the short walk from the road. Look on the lower left of THIS MAP.
    It would be a great spot for a panorama.
    I'd like to be able to meet with you, but I have vacations planned in March and April. I have to look at time and budget.

14. KristinB

KristinB

Apr 12, 2007
    Stafford, VA
    Thanks, Greg! Blackwater Falls is definitely on the schedule. Hope you can join us!

15. I'm going to try.

16. Fair Warning folks ... I am going to make reservations at Harman's Cabins on/about Jan 16 for the number of folks who have comitted to this weekend by the 16th. If you are not sure you can make it please confirm that you will make your own arrangements for a place to stay.

Kristin - when I make reservations I'll ask if they will let us arrive on Thursday night without modifying the rate. If not then we are on our own to decide whether or not to get a hotel/motel for Thursday. I'm thinking that's what I'll probably do anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  17. One of our trips is to Timberline Ski Resort in the Canaan Valley for four days the first week of March. We love that area of W.Va.

18. pinn8

pinn8

Mar 3, 2010
    Virginia
    Count me in for May 3-5

I am looking forward to it!

Steve R

19. Victor Shilo

Victor Shilo

Oct 22, 2010
    MD
    I know that this is already late, but if there is a chance to go there, please, count me in!

20. That's the weekend of the Kentucky Derby. Seth and I had discussed going to the derby with friends, but no final plans yet. We may be in for this, or just me. If I decide to go, I'll look for accommodations at that point (which I realize might not be easy). It sounds like an awesome trip.
    Kristin

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.