West Virginia Weekend - May 3-5, 2013

The cabins we were hoping to get for our stay are not available due to a national fly fishing tournament that weekend.

There are hotels nearby in:
Elkins
Holiday Inn
Hampton Inn
Super 8
EconoLodge
Days Inn
Petersburg
Breath of Heaven
Hermitage Inn
Fort Hill
Park
Guest House Lost River

I'm sure there are others in the area but these ought to work for us.

I'd like to propose that we move the trip to the following weekend, meaning May 10-12 vice 3-5. Some of you will want to go Thursday, May 9. If so, let's get together for dinner. We can keep the dates we have, the new date are just a proposal due to the tournament.

Mike - the next weekend is Mothers Day and my daughters' First Communion, so I won't be able to make it. If the group decides to reschedule, I will certainly understand.

-Steve R

I will be unable to make it if we change it to the following weekend. I may try to head down there in the fall when the colors will be at peak.

OK ... let's stick to the original plan. We'll have to make our own reservations though.

Actually, thanks to Mark (Vienna Pics), I got a great lead on the cabins at Blackwater Falls State Park. :smile:

North Side Cabin Area – Blackwater Falls State Park Cabins in the Pendleton area have gas fireplaces, wireless internet service, fully-equipped kitchens: dishwasher, range, microwave oven, dinner/flat/glassware, utensils, pots and pans; telephone, flat screen television. HVAC unit. Linens provided. Washer/drier combo.
I have a tentative reservation (pending deposit) on three nights (Thursday-Saturday, May 2-4) on a 4 bedroom, 2 bath cabin that is one year new. Two bedrooms have queen beds and two have two twins each. We can also have up to 4 cots for an additional $10 per night per cot. The price for three nights is $836.64 without the cots.

Kristin -- am I part of the cabin group? If yes, great. If not, no problem; I will find another option.

Kristin -- am I part of the cabin group? If yes, great. If not, no problem; I will find another option.

The "usual suspects" (including you), who I messaged on Facebook are included in the cabin group. If we have any openings after everyone makes their decision, then we'll open it up to new folks, if anyone is interested.

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Would this area be okay if we brought our dog? Or should the dog stay home? Let me know if it would be too disruptive or inappropriate.

The options I'm debating: Seth might go to the Kentucky Derby and then I would come to WV alone and stay at your place Kristin (thanks, Kristin!). Or Seth will come to WV with me, if we can bring the dog, and then we'll need a place that will accept her. (we'll call the hotels/etc around looking for a place).

I have class that Thursday until 4:45, then not again until Tuesday. So I wouldn't get there until late Thursday night.

Is there a proposed photo itinerary? Or is it still too early?

Kristin

Would this area be okay if we brought our dog? Or should the dog stay home? Let me know if it would be too disruptive or inappropriate.

The options I'm debating: Seth might go to the Kentucky Derby and then I would come to WV alone and stay at your place Kristin (thanks, Kristin!). Or Seth will come to WV with me, if we can bring the dog, and then we'll need a place that will accept her. (we'll call the hotels/etc around looking for a place).

I have class that Thursday until 4:45, then not again until Tuesday. So I wouldn't get there until late Thursday night.

Is there a proposed photo itinerary? Or is it still too early?

Kristin

Everyone was fine with me having my pups along on the last shoot, so I don't see why not. Unfortunately, our cabin is not pet friendly, though. There isn't an itinerary yet per se, but in post #5 on this thread, I listed several links to planned photo op locations.

OK, I am totally lost. What is the weekend date proposed/set? Mike suggested the second weekend.

Second, I checked the Blackwater Falls State Park Cabins and they are sold out the 2nd weekend (9th-13th).

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Great, thanks for the tip. I'll look for places that are pet-friendly, and if Seth decides on the derby instead then I'll look for a place for just me.
I did see the planned photo op locations - they look gorgeous.

OK, I am totally lost. What is the weekend date proposed/set? Mike suggested the second weekend.

Second, I checked the Blackwater Falls State Park Cabins and they are sold out the 2nd weekend (9th-13th).

The first weekend in May, the 3rd through the 5th.

Norm, what Jeff said. :smile: Mike had originally proposed the first weekend, which everyone agreed to. Then he asked if anyone was interested in the second weekend instead, and when the first two replies were that they would not be able to attend - he said we would stick to the original plan. I have no idea as to other availability of cabins at the park for that weekend...

And, besides the hotels that Mike listed above, there may still be a couple of cabins available at the original resort that his friend owns (we didn't go with it because they didn't have anything large enough).
http://wvlogcabins.com/

Great, thanks for the tip. I'll look for places that are pet-friendly, and if Seth decides on the derby instead then I'll look for a place for just me.
I did see the planned photo op locations - they look gorgeous.

Kristin, as I messaged you - if you don't end up needing pet-friendly lodging, we should have room for you. When will you know? Also, I think that Blackwater Falls SP has a few pet friendly cabins - again, no idea about the availability.

You guys should have a great time. For those with pets, there are 5 cabins on the south side that are pet friendly; you'll have to call for availability. It will probably be pretty chilly in the mornings.

A word of caution; nature and landscape photographer Joseph Rossbach is conducting a workshop the same weekend and you can count on him and his students hitting all the hot spots. Be prepared for company unless you can deconflict with him.
http://www.josephrossbach.com/workshops/west-virginia-waterfalls-workshop/

Also, the boardwalk leading down to the best views of Blackwater Falls was crushed by the Superstorm Sandy snow fall last year and hasn't been repaired; might be dicey getting down to see the falls.
I hope the trip goes great; I'll be down there later in the month.

One of my customers mentioned Glade Creek Grist Mill and I had already checked the location to see how far it is from where we will be. Mike, you are correct. It is 175 miles from Blackwater Falls State Park, well over three hours driving time each way.

I hope to go to this place while we are in WV. It is Glade Creek Grist Mill, Babcock State Park, WV. It's quite a distance from Dolly Sods though...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=444998662208741&set=o.146491988708710&type=1&theater

October is a good time to visit the Grist Mill. I was there this past fall:
8506100600_eb172478b6_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Glade Creek Grist Mill by quickking, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom