Western Car Trip - Heading Home

Real Name
Ken St John
After visiting some friends in Phoenix for a few days, we headed home via the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada and crossed over to Yosemite National Park from the east to the west.

Near the town of Bishop in CA.
May June Vacation-1387.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The start of our back roads trip to Yosemite.
May June Vacation-1404.jpg

May June Vacation-1406.jpg

May June Vacation-1419.jpg

The famous Half Dome ... but from the east side looking to the west.
May June Vacation-1469.jpg

The falls.
May June Vacation-1512.jpg

El Capitan.
May June Vacation-1559.jpg

Even with a reservation only system to control crowds due to COVID, the park was crowded and we did not have a lot of time to get more shots. Parking was a mess ... not only because of the crowds but also due to construction in the valley. It was a brief visit, and we've agreed that we'd like to return again one day .. perhaps when the crowds thin out a bit.

Now this has nothing to do with the scenery we saw, but our friends home in Sacramento has these lovely natural stone floor "tiles" that grace their main floor. I loved the way the sun looked in the morning ...
May June Vacation-1656.jpg

And that's it!! When we got home ... it was in the 50's and raining!!

Cheers ..,. and thanks for looking!!

Ken

I have never been to Yosemite. We would love to go, but the talk about the crowds has scared us away. Do you know the best time of year to go to avoid the crowds? These photos are really nice.

Last edited:
I have never been to Yosemite. We would love to go, but the talk about the crowds have scared us away. Do you know the best time of year to go to avoid the crowds? These photos are really nice.

Everything in California is getting crowded again, from traffic, restaurants, theme parks, etc. I'd wait for the off tourist season to make a trip.

Real Name
Ken St John
I have never been to Yosemite. We would love to go, but the talk about the crowds has scared us away. Do you know the best time of year to go to avoid the crowds? These photos are really nice.
I'm guessing early spring or late fall would be better. Frankly, it was really difficult to get around between the COVID restrictions, crowds and construction. The one road we enjoyed is CA highway 120. Takes you into the park from the east side of the Sierras. It was not heavily traveled and the turnouts were not very crowded. Prior to leaving home on May 24, CA120 was listed as closed for the season, but it showed up as open just a couple of days before we were going to be there.

Their reasoning for keeping it closed must have had something to do with COVID or construction, because we noticed as we drove along that all the way through the park there wasn't a drop of snow anywhere near the road!!

Ken

Real Name
Heiko
Beautiful - this brings back fond memories! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom