Western Car Trip - Monument Valley

Real Name
Ken St John
Next up ... Monument Valley. This was our third visit to the area, and in many ways the most frustrating. The valley is located on Navajo tribal land and is a tribal park. The tribe was hit hard by COVID and the park has been closed since last year. In the past couple of weeks, the tribe allowed The View Hotel to partially open, but put in place a lot of restrictions, such as the restaurant was closed, the dirt roads in the valley remained closed to guests (the only exception is residents who live in the valley), and even areas of the parking lot are "off limits". To be honest, some of the restrictions were rather silly, like the parking lot closure, especially for vaccinated guests, but we did our best to understand and followed the rules. Thus, our photo opportunities were limited.

"Forest Gump" stopped running on the main road into the valley.
May June Vacation-389_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The valley never disappoints.
May June Vacation-473.jpg

May June Vacation-491.jpg

After sundown, the hotel was showing some John Wayne movies that were projected on the side of the hotel. During our stay, we saw "Stagecoach" and "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (on of my personal favorites). Was rather odd to watch a scene such as the troopers leaving the fort and looking to our right and seeing the same scene in the valley!!
May June Vacation-1225.jpg

I tried some star shots again, and faired a little better. I had to shoot from our room's balcony and there was some light pollution from the hotel, just to the left. Maybe next time I'll be able to get out into parking lot, away from the hotel, for another go.
May June Vacation-624.jpg

Sunrise is always special, and I loved the way the dust settled after a resident drove through the valley.
May June Vacation-1304.jpg

The Hotel, looking out onto the valley.
May June Vacation-714.jpg

Since there wasn't much to do in the park itself, we drove to a small Utah state park called Goosenecks. Similar to the more famous Horseshoe Bend area a bit further downstream, the area was similar, but certainly not as colorful!
May June Vacation-815.jpg

May June Vacation-852.jpg

Next ... the trip home.

Ken

Last edited:
You certainly made lemonade from the lemons available. Well done. That sunrise shot is spectacular despite the flare.

Incidentally, Goosenecks Park is on the San Juan River, while the more famous Horseshoe Bend near Page, AZ, is on the Colorado. But you probably knew that.

Real Name
Ken St John
You certainly made lemonade from the lemons available. Well done. That sunrise shot is spectacular despite the flare.

Incidentally, Goosenecks Park is on the San Juan River, while the more famous Horseshoe Bend near Page, AZ, is on the Colorado. But you probably knew that.
Actually ... I didn't know that ... thought they were all on the Colorado River!!

You're right about the flare on the left side of the sunrise. I though I packed my lens shade but I could not find it anywhere!! Until I got home and found it wedged underneath the back seat!! Lot of good it did me there!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Nice set. It almost looks like we had the same room on the ground floor.
Ha!! We were in 204 ... but our friends were father down on the first floor. They had a much nicer view than we did. I probably could have done some more work on the stars from their porch, but they wanted to sleep ... :)

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom