Western Digital 250gig external h/d $69.99

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Nuteshack, May 31, 2007.

1. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    geez, these things are getting so cheap!

3. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Beweare Western Digital. They have a much higher failure rate than many others. There's a reason they are often so much cheaper than another competitor.

Good HDs are cheap today, drives by LaCie for example.

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I was burned by WD on 2) 250GB lightup external HDs. They failed in less than a year. Each had a 1 yr warranty. WD refused warranty despite my receipt from CompUSA showing less than 1 yr from purchase date, because the manufacturer's date code on my failed HD showed a manufacturing date of about 16 months (they sat on CompUSA's shelf for several months before I bought them). I switched to Seagate, which I was thrilled to see mac installed in my mac Pro.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

they're all junk ..lol

6. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

this isn't one of those little pocket size things that have been notorious for failures:eek:

7. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I had the same experience as John above with a 120 gig WD external drive. When I checked around I found that many had the same problem. Even the geek at the local CopmpUSA couldn't recommend Western Digital.

8. Interesting I did not know this about WD. Seemed like a long time ago they were the best? Didn't they buy someone out or WD got bought out awhile back? Maybe I just getting old and confused?

I got one of those LaCie (actually 2 of them) don't tell me these have problems too......

9. I have used WD HDs for some time with no problems. I have seen these complaints from all HD manufacturers but have only experienced it with IBM HDs and they were bought out by ??????.

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hitachi bought IBM's hard drive business and Lenovo bought IBM's laptop business.

11. Nice. I bought the 500GB version. No problems so far, except Vista Home Premium doesn't know how to do incremental backups :-(.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Frank ..by the time i get the rebate back they'll be even cheaper, im sure ..lol
    ..sorry about the Vista probs, me thinks i'm sticking with XP pro fora bit longer..;-))