Western Digital Raptor

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Pete, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Is anyone using the Western Digital Raptor (10,000 rpm) drives. I am thinking of using a 150g for my OS and Photoshop swap files using the regular drives just for photo storage. Is there a big improvement in performance with these drives?
    Thanks
    Pete

2. Robert

Robert

Jul 24, 2005
    Canada
    Pete,

I'm in the very early stages of building my first puter...wish me luck!! I will be using the same drive as my boot drive. All the reviews and discussions I've seen indicate that this is not only extremely well built, but is tops in performance too.

3. On my home PC I use three Raptors, two duplexed 74GBs for system and software and a 39GB (?) for a scratch drive. Files and images are stored externally on 4 x 400GB WDs.

4. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I've had the 74GB as a system drive for over three years now, and it *still* amazes me.

5. I purchased the 74 GB version for new my 'uber' computer. This HD is very fast but also a bit noisy.

Long story ....................... I pulled the Raptor and replaced it with a pair of Seagate 'parallel' SATA drives running in a RAID 0 configuration. This pair absolutely blows a single Raptor away. About 2-3x faster! :eek:. This totally surprised me too.

If you're worried about RAID 0 reliability you can do what I did and clone the 'volume' to another drive.

If you determined on getting a Raptor ................. let me know. I'd probably sell mine.

Regards
    JohnG

6. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks everyone,
    Some good info to think about. I will look into the raid 0 thing maybe that will help.
    Pete

7. Paul Alexy

Paul Alexy

Apr 17, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There have been comparisons between using a single Raptor vs. Raid 0 arrays of "lesser" drives. As I recall, in some instances, the Raid 0 array proved superior, but in others the Raptor was still ahead. You may also wish to consider whether you really want to have your PS scratch disk on your boot drive. I believe the conventional wisdom is that a separate PS scratch disk is the better way to go. Finally, Raptors are generally known for their reliability as well as their speed. I have not researched it, but have heard that Raptors have the highest MTBF rating short of a SCSI drive. Good luck.

8. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks Paul.
    I always create a seperate partition for the scratch disk but you might be right if PS is trying to use the boot disk and scratch disk at the same time. Whatever drive I put in, I will still have the scratch partition on the original disk so I can keep it seperate. It is getting about time to format and rebuild my os so it is a good time to rearrange my disks. I will look and see what deals I can find on the Raptor.
    Pete

9. Paul Alexy

Paul Alexy

Apr 17, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You're welcome Pete. If your case has room, you might want to look a two smaller drives--one for the boot drive and one for the scratch drive--to boost performance.

I bought a Raptor for my boot drive last August when the Core2Duos came out. (Of course, now the Quad chips are out, so I have to "make do" :biggrin: with my Core2Duo 6600.)

Periodically, you'll one of the big box stores put all of their Western Digital Drives on sale. Otherwise, you can get good deals online on Raptors.

10. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    This is how I built mine:
    10K150GB Raptor - OS/application SW
    WD5000YS - 500gb - working directory for NEFS/JPEGs being modified
    WD4000YS - 400gb - primary backup directory and temp/cache files
    WD4000YS - 400gb - secondary backup

I load the out of camera nefs to the 500GB - called 'orig'
    I copy the 'orig's to 'work' and batch PP the 'work'.
    I copy the 'origs' to both 400GB backup drives, confirm I can read them and delete the 'orig' off of the 500gb
    I hand PP the 'work' and create jpegs.
    When done, I copy the hand PP and jpegs to both of the 400gb drives.
    I also make CD backups of the files.

So, while I am using NX/PS, my raptor has the OS/Apps, the 500gb has the files being worked and the 400gb has the cache/temp files. Everything is spread out as much as possible.

Also, I keep in mind that a partitioned drive does not provide the response two physical drives have due to contention.

Also, I went with the WD'YS' - they are server quality drives and have a low failure rate, plus I got them off of ebay for a steal.

11. I built a machine using a 36gig for the OS drive, and 2 74 gig drives for source and target video.

It is used for video editing / rendering by a friend of mine that does sports recruitment videos.

Dual Core proc and lots of ram ...

The thing SPANKS video. Highly recommend those drives!

Thanks,
    Gary

12. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I did think about the contention thing with the partitioned drive. I will keep my eyes open for a sale on the Raptor 150. What about the Bridge image files? Do you keep them on the scratch disk or on the OS.
    Thankis
    Pete

13. pixelfun

pixelfun Guest

Many people fail to realize the hard drive is a bottleneck in today's computer. While adding one gig of RAM will make you see a speed increase, when you put two RAPTOR 150's in RAID 0, be prepared for a "WHOA!"

It's a significant leap in system performance. I'm running two Raptor 150's in that configuration, and they are worth every penny!

14. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    I am using Raptors 74G and 150Gs in one of my systems.

Raptors are actually built from WD's SCSI lines, which means they are probably more reliable than ordinary IDE/SATA drives.

Personaly I think Raptors are good but might not be the best value for the money. A pair of 7200 rpm 320Gs will cost about the same as a 150G Raptor, and will be faster most of the times with 4 times the capacity.

Raptors are OK if you plan to spend more money for speed and you have a deep pocket, but then if you really need speed you might want to use 15k SCSI HDDs!

15. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You are sort of correct on this, the WD Raptor line actually has more to do with ATA drives then SCSI drives. WD stepped up on the quality design and hardware. Raptor drives come with a standard 5 year warranty, the same as SCSI hard drives.

If value is the biggest thing you are looking for you shouldn't even look at raptor drives, if your looking for performance over value, raptors are the next best thing next to SCSI drives.

320g drives in raid 0 will only be faster with sequential burst read times assuming they are SATA-II and you don't suffer from any hard drive fragmentation. Otherwise the raptors in raid 0 will win hands down on all other tests.

Don't forget the costly SCSI controller card with plenty of onboard memory. I just had to purchase three high end SCSI cards at 1100+ a piece. :wink:

16. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Oh yes! Raptors are actually my favorite HDDS now. I don't think my RAID-0 Raptor system is a lot slower than my Cheetah RAID-0 system (the Raptors has the faster Core2 Duo though - the SCSI has the Dual Core Opteron).

My config is a single Raptor 74G for OS and some programs, a pair of 150G RAID-0 for work, and a 320G SATA for backup. (I don't use RAID-1 because it would not prevent stupid human mistakes! :biggrin:)

17. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks everyone, I will be checking prices and see if I can pick one up. I keep my computers for a long time so the extra performance will be a long term value.

18. Well, I was going to go the conservative route with my new system.. I was going to get 2 150GB Raptors and put them in a Raid 1 configuration.. That way I would have a backup of my system drive if the other failed..
    I know there would be a bit of a system performance downgrade due to RAID 1 but it gives a lot of piece of mind.

Secondly any Raid 0 configuration will be faster than a single Raptor drive since you are splitting the access of info between two drivs.. much faster...

19. rubbub

rubbub

Jun 26, 2006
    Hudson, NH
    In general you won't gain anything from Raid-0 in actual desktop applications. This claim is backuped by some reputable online reviews (check out anandtech.com, tomshardware.com, storagereview.com, keyword: raid-0 ). Raid-0 is looking good in testing tools and maybe some server applications.

My suggestion is to go raptor with system drives and external drives for backup. External is good in case you want to move it to another pc or emergency.

20. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thank you all, I found good buy on the 150g Raptor. I will partition it and put both OS on it and have room for my virtual machines. My photos will stay on the old hard drive and I will come up with something for a scratch disk. Looks like I have a lot of work this weekend.
    Pete