Western Red Backed Salamander.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Nov 25, 2005.

1. I guess this is breeding time for these small salamanders so there out and about looking for mates, this one is about 70 mm from nose to tip of tail. It was found by the back door. I struggled to get decent pictures, mostly it wanted to keep the head down and crawl under things, so I could use some pointers on get good pictures of something like this, it was very black and very shiny, I bounced the flash of an umbrella to soften the lighting. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] One thing I should have done is clean more moss of it but there pretty delicate so I didn't really like picking it off with my fingers. D70 and 200 f4 micro. Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    You've done a great job with a fast-moving subject. I'm not sure the lighting isn't a little flatter than I'd prefer, but the colors are superb.

Maybe a little water mister to spray the detritus off the fella? If it's cold enough water it might slow him down some :)

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well for a lizard ? they are pretty good. His colors aren't helping you much.

Good shots though.

(dont like lizards and snakes) Scare the hell out of me.

4. Thanks for the Tip Moffo.

5. Thanks Gale, Salamanders are not Lizards though there related to frogs and are amphibians.

They can be very poisonous though so you have to be careful if you touch them.

Martin

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    ME touch them...you gotta be kiding :>)))))))))

I do like frogs though :>)))