Western USA Car Trip - First Days

Real Name
Ken St John
Just returned home and processed pictures taken on our recent car trip. Went from here in Washington through Idaho to Park City UT, then to Monument Valley and Pheonix AZ, and returned via Yosemite National Park in CA. Here's the first few days ...

First "event" was a two day class put on by Ford Performance for new owners of an Explorer ST. On our way, driving through ID we encountered a lot of rain ...
May June Vacation-27.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The full day of driving started at the hotel in Park City UT as we picked up one of the schools ST's. You know it's going to be a fun day when the leader says "as a reminder, this is not YOUR car ... drive it like you stole it!!"
May June Vacation-100.jpg

The exercises included quick lane changes...
May June Vacation-121.jpg

And learning to rely on the emergency brake system for a "both feet on the floor" stop from 25 mph...
May June Vacation-147.jpg

The events were held at Solider Hollow, site of the cross country and biathlon competition for the 2002 Winter Olympics. Still in use for training and World Cup events, we were given the opportunity to try out the biathlon range and their very special .22 cal target rifles. My wife enjoyed herself and hit several of the targets (she's in lane 3) to close the door over the circle.
May June Vacation-280.jpg

On the way home we went over a high mountain pass on our way back to the hotel at the end of the day.
May June Vacation-342.jpg

We left Park City and drove south to Monument Valley AZ.
May June Vacation-360.jpg

Central/southern UT is beautiful and very warm for this time of year!! Well into the 90's!!
May June Vacation-378.jpg

Next up ... AZ!!

Ken

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken St John
Great trip, I bet shooting those rifles was fun.
It was ... they are very lightweight. They shoot a 5 shot magazine, .22 cal, subsonic. Very quiet. In the competition, if you miss one of the holes, there's a circular penalty course you must go on before heading out on your next leg. Miss two, and take two trips around, etc.

The altitude was just over 6,000' here, and I was getting breathless just walking around!! Amazing athletes!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Did you notice if the rifles were Anschutz? They’re light, but the price per pound is very high. It’s like buying caviar.
I didn't catch the name, I think they said they were made in Europe (Austria?) and were only used for biathlon. They said the rules actually allow ANY kind of rifle ... but everyone uses these!! I think he said they cost $3500+!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
The arch in the next to last shot looks like Wilson’s arch south of Moab. Did you stop at Valley of the gods or Mexican hat?
Yup!! Wilson's arch!! We only stopped for gas in Moab. Surprisingly busy town with signs of a lot of recent growth (building, etc.). We missed the Valley if the Gods and Mexican Hat this time, but have visited them in the past. Really beautiful country ...

Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom