Whale with a Hood Ornament

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baywing, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The latest in the 50's style retro hood ornaments for Humpbacks
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Those gulls are certainly bold. 8)

Cool capture. :wink:

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I hear they taste like salty chicken......

4. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Good shot Baywing. I wonder how long it takes the gulls to learn they can land on a particular sea mammal and maybe not others.. :)
    Jarrell

5. That's hilarious - wonder if they pick things off the whale's skin, symbiotic relationship? A submergable landing rock *LOL* Good capture!

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If you've ever been in a fast food restuarant parking lot within 40 miles of the shore, you know that gulls aren't known to be shy. This one sat there for about 15 seconds and flew off when the whale started submerging. They are looking for any small fish that might escape while the humpback is straining it's mouthful of fish and water through it's baleen. They are also seen to try to to snatch fish from inside an open mouth, a little more risky. The humpback's throat is only as big around as a grapefruit, so gulls can't be swallowed, they are too big. The rare one that ends up inside is usually spit out, not likely in very good shape, though.

7. Very funny to see this. You have a great picture here. I am planning on taking a whale watching trip this fall. I wonder if we will see this new model with the hood ornament?

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats teriffic...Great shot.

Saw a pelican do same with a dolphin out on the river where I work. Landed right on his head. To far to shoot though.