What a difference 3 years can make

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by srwatters, Sep 13, 2008.

1. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Some of you may remember this image that I made nearly three years ago of a beautiful little six year old.

[​IMG]

That was two camera bodies, many lenses, and several thousand images ago. Emily is and has been a Kim Dawson Kids model since then and I've hopefully improved my skills a little. While this wasn't a 'modeling' shoot, I asked her to give me one image with model 'attitude'.

I think she's still got the look...

Nikon D3, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
    ISO 200, f/8, 1/160 @ 125mm
    Ryan-Emily030.

Comments appreciated as always.

2. great thread, scott
    she is a beautiful young lady
    and this new image is EXCELLENT

very nicely done

3. Oh! Now way! That is really amazing. It's amazing how quickly time passes. I guess that I don't see it as readily in my own children.

Fabulous shot.

Erik

4. Excellent capture... before and after. I remember the first.

5. RvUsa

RvUsa

Feb 15, 2008
    Darlington, Pa
    wow what a difference, and very nice pics!!

6. Scott, yes, one of my all-time favorites!
    The colors & her eyes in that first image are very impressive!
    Emily is a beautiful young gal, and she looks very natural in the second shot.
    This second shot is also top notch, which is what I've come to expect from you!

7. They grow up too fast, Scott.

Great images..... I have always remembered that first image.

One of those that just stick in your mind.

8. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    I love it. My only complaint has to do with the clothes; the pant leg popped up, showing her leg, seems out of place.

9. MFowler

MFowler

Apr 18, 2008
    Texas
    Love both shots Scott! I can see why she's a Kim Dawson kids model. My friends daughter has been with them about a year now as well.

Any chance for some info on the light set-up on that second shot?

10. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Two excellent images, but the first has a dreamy magic about it that transcends skill-sets or camera gear. Obvious your "eye" was fully developed 3 years ago my friend. :smile:

11. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Of course the second photo is very nice, but that first one is one of my all time favorites.

12. srwatters

srwatters

Feb 27, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Thanks for all the comments. I am really hoping to work with Emily again for a real shoot. The session we did was just some family portraits of her and her brother. Her mom likes to have them done yearly and I got the call this year.

The lighting for the second shot was extremely simple and my standard setup for headshots and 1/2 to 3/4 length shots. The key light is a 500ws Hensel Integra Pro Plus monolight with a 5' Photoflex Octodome. Fill is provided by a large 4'x8' bookend reflector. The key is placed about 45 degrees off camera axis and high enough to put the catch-light at the 2 o'clock (or 10) position. It is feathered about 60 degrees so I'm using the bounced light rather than the main beam from the strobe. The reflector is directly opposite the key and is positioned so I meter about 2/3 to 1 stop below the key. Exposure is set for f/9 at the key and f/7.1 at the fill. Directly at the camera usually meters right at the planned exposure (f/8). The background is lit by two additional 500ws lights with 48x16" strip lights. They are positioned to get f/8 across the entire width of the paper that will be included in the shot.

Hope that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.