What a Difference a Day Makes

Real Name
Dan
1) Taken the day before we left our winter sojourn in SC. Scene along our evening cycling route.
p3868239749-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) And in front of our home on first morning back. The moose is standing on top of a six foot snow bank pushed up by the snow plow.
p3868239740-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Dan
Oh my God! What a beautiful place in #1 Dan. And great change in a day indeed. Lovely morning light in #2.
Yes, Binnur, it is a lovely place. We really had mixed feelings about coming back to Alaska early.
It would be fun to get a report from you also about other changes you experience in the next week or so that perhaps can't be explained by a photo.
Not sure exactly what changes to describe, Mike. Right now the whole world is changing. Naturally and socially. This time of year we're gaining almost seven minutes of daylight every day so the natural world literally changes day by day. On the social side the governor just passed an executive order for incoming travelers with pretty extreme home quarantine requirements and non-compliance subject to criminal prosecutions, $25k fine and up to a year in jail.

On the social side the governor just passed an executive order for incoming travelers with pretty extreme home quarantine requirements and non-compliance subject to criminal prosecutions, $25k fine and up to a year in jail.

That document should be given to everyone as they cross the border. Better to prevent someone being fined or going to jail by informing them because doing so will also help limit the spread of the virus.

Real Name
Dan
That document should be given to everyone as they cross the border. Better to prevent someone being fined or going to jail by informing them because doing so will also help limit the spread of the virus.
Not only are they informing people they are having them sign a declaration form stating where you're coming from, where you've been, where you're staying in Alaska, and that you understand the quarantine. I think they would shut the door but 1) there are a LOT of jobs up here that work 14on/14off(or similar schedules) and many of those people live outside the state. Many of those jobs are "essential" functions. And 2)'m pretty sure that the state doesn't have that authority to restrict US citizens traveling from one state to another regardless of the reason.

Real Name
Dan
By the way, you're already off to a great start! :)
Well we'll just keep on pluggin' :D
#1 is beautiful, and #2 makes me jealous. We get squirrels!
Oh we have our share of squirrels too. They drive the dog crazy. Moose are fun to look at but have their downsides. Very destructive to trees, shrubs, and flower or vegetable gardens. The dog is always pleased with herself and wants to share a big wet kiss after she scores a few moose "nuggets" in the yard. And once in a while they decide to take up residence in the back yard for a few days thus depriving the dog of her favorite place for her morning constitutional.
I agree. Make mine a moose, too!
All in all there are less downsides than with the squirrels. Not the least being that moose won't bother a bird feeder.

We drove back from Florida to NH on Saturday - Sunday. The biggest change is self isolation sitting inside in 85 degree weather to doing the same in 35 degree weather.

Latest threads

Top Bottom