Critique What a difference nearly ten years makes!

I made the first photo, the best of three photos at the time, in December 2010 in my living room just a few days before my wife and I drank the wine on my 60th birthday. I got really serious about photographing in my makeshift studio in July 2012 by studying Light: Science & Magic. After applying the principles in that book to photographing mostly transparent glass, I finally returned to my dream of photographing wine in December 2014. Nearly 10 years after making the first photo, I made the second photo yesterday. Quite a difference in my mind.

The really strange thing is that I didn't look at the first photo until after making the second photo and I didn't remember how I had composed the first photo. In fact, the only photo I had remembered making in 2010 doesn't even have a wine glass. Yet the composition of the second photo nearly ten years later shows that I'm consistent (or boring) if nothing else.

Setup of Photo #2
The tabletop is a piece of wood shelving and the background is a texture from InfiniteTexturePanel.com. A small contiunous-light lamp was high above the scene on the left. A white reflector on the right added the bright tones to the glass and the reflection to the right side of the bottle.

Focus Bracketing of Photo #2
Five focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 2 made the cork and bottle in focus and left the wine glass out of focus.

Mike 2010-12-11--415-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2020-04-02--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Took you 10 years to figure out to close the window curtain ? :D
I like the second one, the cork makes it (y)

Last edited:
I think many of us, when we look back at older work realize we have improved in some areas, but the overall look often doesn't change- that is who we are. I was showing current work to an old friend, we had not crossed paths in years. He commented that although it was very nice work, he had a print of mine hanging in his office that I gave him in 1979. He thought it looked just like the work I was showing him. That came as a real shock to me, but when I went back and found some old boxes of prints- yup. My composition has almost not changed. It is a lot easier in digital than old film days. My lighting has improved- but not by as much as Mike's.
A lot of the time, we are who we are.
Gary

Thank you to Dan, Gary, West, Nick and Binnur!

How was the wine the second time around?
The memory of the first time gets better and better. The wine I used as a proxy for the orginal wine is a LOT less expensive.

Took you 10 years to figure out to close the window curtain ?
Now you understand why nobody has ever accused me of being a quick study.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom