What a great day. Thanks Louie!!!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jun 30, 2007.

1. I met Louie on beautiful Lake Washington here in Seattle early this morning. It turned out to be one of the best outings I have ever had. It started out with Osprey's flying right in front of us grabbing fish out of the water. I was having major issues with getting focus on my D2X. Finally after changing lenses and playing around I figured out my starting focus point was in the wrong place. After fixing it all was fine. The funny thing was after the ospreys would get a fish, there was always an eagle that would fly out of a tree and chase it trying to get the fish. We had an eagle land in the water about 15 feet from us. What a treat.

Here are a few shots of the osprey snatching a fish and flying off. The eagle was not far behind. Sorry I blew the highlights but the light was pretty bright at the time.

original.

Second shot of the series
    View attachment 103588

One more, these were right in front of me so they were close to full frame with the Sigma 500 4.5 lens.
    View attachment 103589

Here are a few of one of the eagles that were making passes right at us.
    View attachment 103590

View attachment 103591

One last shot for now.
    View attachment 103592

2. That's about as good a front row seat as you'll ever get for free! What makes it even more fun is all the people that would kill to see a show like that!

3. Cool shot and a great story, lets see some more!

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow, you did have a super day Jim. These make my mouth water. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

5. wish I had been there..... great capture

6. Sounds like an awesome experience. I've done the same thing with the focus renticle. It can be frustrating. Glad you figured it out.

7. :910:

Congratulations!! Looks like a very successful day!!

8. Looks like a great experience that will be remembered a long time with pictures to prove it.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Those eagles look great:>))))

10. Great captures Jim. Definitely a great day.

11. keirin

keirin

Dec 31, 2005
    What a terrific series -- the first eagle picture is especially outstanding.

12. Ain't life grand? What a great day you had, Jim. Beautiful images. You might also try testing your focal spots, I've found a couple of mine on the X to be off the mark.

13. Thanks, it was such a treat. I could only stand there and watch as the action was too close often to get any pictures of.

Thanks Andreas. I missed so many chances with my focus problems. When I finally got it figured out I managed to get a few nice series. I really needed that second body with the 300 f 4. I know Louie got way more good images than I.
    Thanks Frank. It was such a fun day once I got my camera figured out.

Thanks, you would have enjoyed it for sure.
    Thanks

Thanks, it would have been a great day even if I had no camera.

Thanks Gale, they sure came close. I almost was worried about them hitting me,\!!

Thanks Phil. You gotta love that Sigma:smile:
    Thanks, that one was nearly full frame.

Thanks David. My main issue was as Rory said. The camera was not starting with the center focus point. I do not think my focal spots are as good as they were before I got my camera fixed.

14. Thanks Rory. I knew it was something with it focus settings as my camera would focus fine on a big scene just not tracking. I felt pretty stupid when I realized what it was. I guess that is what I get for getting old:smile::smile:

15. Nice series Jim. Always great to be on the spot with a fishing raptor.

16. Superb set Jim. It was about all a person could have asked for in a day out shooting. I think we saw a little of everything this area has to offer. Great job on these shots. I' a little overwhelmed with what we experienced yesterday, so I'm still sorting through the shots I got. I think these shots sure capture the experience we had though.

Louie

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Looks like one fine day with some fine pics too.

18. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Eagles, Ospreys and fresh fish !!

Can't get much better :biggrin:

19. Outstanding images Jim, WOW!

20. Wonderful shots Jim.

Thanks for sharing

Lil