What about the 14mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Czechman01, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Anyone have any first hand experience with this lens?

Any distortion issues because my main purpose would be for interiors?

Are any of the Brand X lenses worth considering instead? $1,500 is a lot of money for me.

I'm looking for something to replace my 20 mm 2.8 / film body combination on D2x.

Thanks,
    Woody

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2005
  2. I've had the 14mm for ...2 years love it

If you get the lens out of parrallel with the walls you will see some distortion on edges

not like a fish bowl... the more you tilt the camera the more distorted things become

rent one and see for your self... it might be fine for you?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

It's not a sample variation Paul, but a "feature" of the 14/2.8 which was designed to work on full-frame silver halide cameras such as F5, and the then newly emerging D1. The 14 mm did work very well on the D1, but not on the newer DSLRs with higher resolution. On D2X, you'll see that the 14 mm is quite sharp (a good thing) and provides lots of flare plus really disgusting colour fringing towards the periphery of the frame.

Personally I think the 14 mm was instrumental in making Nikon go with the telecentric DX design for future wide-angle lenses.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

For that much money, I'd suggest testing the 12-24mm AFS WA zoom. More flexible, albeit a bit slower (f/4), and it works quite well for interior shooting. The CA is controllable, and not very much evidenced above maybe 14-16mm (different people report different values). The keystoning effect is more related to the degree of WA and the specific perspective of the camera and lens when shooting in my experience.

I've shot interiors like, https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=44669 with reasonable success, exteriors like https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=44491 handheld, and outdoors shots like https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=54819, all at 12mm, and you can judge the composition as you like ( :eek: :wink: :eek: ).

It's been a workhorse lens for me (on the D100 - the D2X might vary), and delivered consistently good results. If only we could say the same thing about the guy behind my camera... :confused: :redface: :confused:

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Thanks for everone jumping in here and saving me a lot of money. I had suspected that the 14mm was playing to mixed reviews and now that I've seen what John P. has done with the 12-24, I'm sold on the zoom. BTW, John... absolutely beautiful work and thanks again for proving what an incredible camera the D100 is. I sold mine to help pay for the D2x but within a few months I bought another one. Hands down better B&W conversions than the D2x.

More lens for less money... sounds like a plan to me.

Woody

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

Thanks for the compliment. I was planning to post a few images later using the 12-24mm in a less obvious fashion, so we'll see just how those play out.

I will note that there seems to be some differences between various 12-24mm lenses. I was quite lucky with mine, but I've heard the occasional comment(s) from folks about not getting quite as good results. You might ask to run a series of shots through your camera with the lens you're looking at buying (if it's at a local store).

What's that expression from the stock market types ? Ah. "Past performance does not guarantee future results.", or some such thing. For reasons I'm not entirely sure about, speculative considerations aside, the quality control on expensive lenses is not as strict as I would like as a consumer.

Interesting comment, BTW, about the B&W conversions. I'd not heard this before now. Gives me added incentive to hold onto the D100 if (when) I get another body. Given that I might see $600 for the body these days, I think I could get a fair number of shots from it still...

Given the fine work I've seen on your website, I'll be very curious to see what comes of your use of the 12-24mm.

John P.

8. It's been a while since I've updated this site mainly because I went digital and heard so many conflicting stories about WA lenses.

Now what we need is a 16mm T&S, or better yet a 12-18mm T&S zoom :biggrin:

Woody

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

That was part of my thought(s) about your work, along with some of the shots of Miami. You have a good eye.

Call me when you find that last one. I'll get it in a heartbeat ! :cool:

John P.