What all do i need for a in home studio

Well, youll need a couple more speedlights, some sort of radio triggers, i would say PWs, some umbrellas, a softbox or two, maybe some strobes, lightstands/tripods, maybe a couple diffusers.

i have a tripod and SB600 what else i need as far as lighting and flash

I suggest you start small. Get a lightstand, a 2-way (reflective & shoot-thru) umbrella, a reflector then practice one light off camera shooting using commander mode on your D70s. Once you get the hang of that, you can get another light, either a speedlight or a strobe with another lightstand and either umbrella or softbox for 2-light off camera shooting. For speedlights, I recommend a SB-800 or SB-900 which provides more options instead of another SB-600. For a strobe there are many options. I have an Alien Bees B400.

Lot of resources available.
Stobist.com
Uncle Frank's Lighting Diagrams
Pro Photo Life
WayneF's website on Flash Basics

When you get into strobes, you will need a trigger system for your lights. There are many. The "best" and priciest are PocketWizards also CyberSync. With these remote triggers, you can use both strobes and speedlights.

If you still have $$$, you will then need a background with a stand.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you... :smile:

well i think imma start with just 2 off camera flashes .. im still learning what exactly a speed light and strobes do different then a flash ... and need to figure out what all triggers im going to need

here is a couple i did with my SB600 mounted on a tripod off camera
not the best but im learning

Picture001-15.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Picture031.gif

well i think imma start with just 2 off camera flashes .. im still learning what exactly a speed light and strobes do different then a flash ... and need to figure out what all triggers im going to need

here is a couple i did with my SB600 mounted on a tripod off camera
not the best but im learning

Picture001-15.jpg

Picture031.gif

A speedlight is a Nikon flash unit. The three primary ones are the SB-900, SB-600 & SB-400. The SB-800 was discontinued recently and is a good buy used.

Good luck.

ok so what is the main difference between a speed light and a strobe

Nikon Speedlights are battery powered and portable. Studio strobes are AC but you can get a portable power packs for them. Not quite as portable as Nikon Speedlights.

You can do a whole lot with both individually or in combination. It depends on your reqs.

so really all thats needed for a in home studio is a couple of strobes with umbrellas or soft boxes and some way to trigger them

ok so what is the main difference between a speed light and a strobe

Physical size and the power unit....also a speed light can usually talk to the camera via cable for off cam shooting and a strobe is very large usually operates of household current and is made to be shot with cam in strictly manual mode as it has no brains or computer to "talk" to camera............

EDIT:::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobeious1 View Post
i have a tripod and SB600 what else i need as far as lighting and flash
Camera would be nice.....a backgound of some sort (I highly recomend a 10 x20 foot black) either a bg stand or hang on wall with drywall screws or what ever to keep it up on wall...as close to your ceiling as possible.......
I recommend a brolly box to start with.....it is a shoot thru umbrella that has a black closure in the back to force all the light forward...very little spillage to the back.......
You need to spend time at the strobist website and practice their shooting methods.....get a 2nd matching speedlight and add a short stand to light the background and add a few threatrical gels to add color to your background..........

As for radio triggering devices I use these:
ebay link clik here.........

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom