What am I? and more dragons!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Argent, Jul 1, 2008.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Nice shots Paul. I think the first one is a moth. Don't know what kind. I think the first dragonfly is an Eastern Pondhawk and the second a Halloween Pennant. Not sure as I have never seen them in "person".

2. Thanks Torben - any guesses by you are better than what I'd come up with

and yeah after you said it - it does look more like a moth not a butterfly - it was wild because of the black, orange and irridescent blue

3. Hi Paul!

Yep, Torben got the Dragons right... except is it Eastern or Western? Where´s Michigan? :biggrin:

I googled the moth and I was hoping it would be a Grape Leaf Skeletonizer just because its wonderful name...BUT, it looks like a Virginia Ctenucha...which isn´t a bad name eather... http://images.google.fi/images?um=1&hl=fi&q=Virginia+Ctenucha&btnG=Etsi+kuvia

Nice shots, Paul!

4. Oooo thanks Jukka! sure does look like a Ctenucha virginica

(always amazed that guys on the other side of the planet can help ID bugs in my own backyard)

5. Mee too! :smile: But you know, google is your friend. On this one I had an advantage not being an english speaker as we have different names for these, they are not all just "moths", so I could narrow my search quite a bit... found it here, seems like pretty good for IDing: http://www.whatsthatbug.com/moths_3.html

6. Don't know if this is helpful or not, but with Lepidopterans the general rule of thumb is antennas that are clubbed (have a ball shape at the end) are butterflies, antennas that are hooked are skippers, and the rest (simple, feathered, combed) are moths. This is a general rule, but I find it helpful for a starting place with IDs. Also, for North American species, http://bugguide.net is a wonderful resource. I also really enjoy the site that Jukka linked to. What's that Bug? is an art project that two teachers in California started. I highly recommend checking them out. They are fun.

7. excellent info! both sites are really cool and have been bookmarked :) 

8. Some really excellent answers in this thread. bugguide.net is absolutely brilliant,but you do need a reasonable knowledge of insects to use it.:confused: 

By the way it is one of the daylight flying moths and the antennae signify that it is a male.

At this rate Harry S. and I will be redundant.:eek: :eek: 

Isn't it just great to get such freeflowing information?:biggrin::biggrin:

BW. Bob F.

9. Thanks Bob!

At first because of the colors I thought it was some giant evil beetle until I looked closer

this site never ceases to amaze me with the vast wealth of knowledge.

10. I agree entirely, and more importantly it is given without rancour. This is why it is probably the best site of its' type.

Bob F.

11. I surely don't mind being redundant at times :biggrin:

Cheers

12. Hallo Uncle Harry:biggrin:

I wondered when you would resurface?

When I wrote the answer relating to the wealth of information, it took me back to the time you used to bounce me on your knee and tell me all those wild stories of tracking beetles in the tropical rain forests and how you were the first person to discover an OOMY-GOOLY BIRD.:eek: :eek:  Those were the days.:wink::wink:

Actually, I do enjoy all the work I do to try and help people out, for as I said pereviously it keeps me active. The only problem comes when my health plays up and I try and do something but have to give in. This makes me very frustrated, but HA what the heck at least I still have all my facilties and that is a massive plus..:smile::smile:

BW. Bob F.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.