1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by davidzvi, Jul 10, 2008.

1. This is not a comment on composition, focus, content, etc. Just trying to figure something out.

Every now and then my colors on the D300 seem to go haywire. It happens mainly indoors but has happened outside though much less often.

Every now and then I get shots like this:
    329226315_VTHzJ-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

But then 30 seconds later it's back to this:
    329226360_zBWLu-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    Auto WB doing its thing.
    The wrong thing sometime...

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    I take it you're using auto WB? If so, I wouldn't rely on it all the time.

4. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

It looks like the flash didn't fire in the first shot. Check the EXIF data and it will tell you.

5. What type of lighting was it?

Gary

6. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    It looks like the flash has had a bigger impact in lighting the subjects in the second shot - look at the person to the right of the main subject, they are a much more similar tone to the people in the first shot.

7. Yes Auto WB.

EXIF says yes.

About the best kind of lighting you could get :wink:

Church, with many tungsten lights in all kinds of fixtures. Add bright sun light through giant staind glass windows throughing every color in the spectrum.

8. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Now that we've established that you are using flash in these shots and that it did fire in the first shot -- the next question is what flash and metering modes? If you are using TTL-BL with Matrix, then the problem could be that the system was tripped up; another possibility would be low batteries. The exposure on the first shot seems very low, it appears that the camera is relying solely on ambient light and the flash did not contribute adequate light.

9. I thought about it being a WB issue, but that should be easy to fix in post, no luck there.

10. TTL-BL w/ Matrix.

I'm pretty good about changing the batteries out.

I had this happen about 10 out of the 200 shoot I took with Nikon that day. Just one of the things I love about the Fuji 1,200 same day.

11. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

That's your problem then. Using Center-weighted gives more consistent exposures, TTL-BL adjusts flash to match exposure, so if Matrix for any reason underexposes then so does TTL-BL. My recommendation is to use Center-weighted with TTL for more consistent results.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.