What are all the rare portrait lenses w/o LoCAs?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by cotdt, Sep 24, 2011.

1. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Even my mightly Nikon 85/1.4 and Zeiss 100/2 MP has longitudinal CAs. Usually I don't mind, but sometimes it makes the model's hair outlines green. That said, I've found some apochromatic lenses that don't have LoCAs:

Nikon 200/2 VR
    Sigma 105/2.8 OS Macro
    Tamron 60/2 Macro

These have no LoCAs even in extremely high contrast scenes. Any other lenses to add?

2. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    I don't think the Nikon 200 VR is an apochromatic lens.

Anyway, the Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 125mm f/2.5 SL is supposed to be very good and the Leica 90 AA, 100 f/2.8 APO and 180/2.8 APO too.

3. DavidKvapil

DavidKvapil

Dec 17, 2008
    Boise, ID
    Yes, the 200 f/2 has very little to no LoCA, absolutely fantastic lens, shouldn't have gotten rid of mine. I don't think you'll get a better "portrait" lens.

4. Ronald M

Ronald M

Nov 10, 2008
    Chicago
    Leica 100 2.8. Leica APO puts the best of the Nikkors to shame including my 1.4 G s, all of them.

5. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Ronald,

You are not allowed to say that in a public forum without supplying the evidence?

Comparative results are required. Same focal length. Same aperture. Same subject.

Please.

DG.

6. If you can go with a slightly slower lens, the CV 90mm APO Lanthar is f/3.5 and has very well controlled LoCA wide open. Of course, by f/4 it is similar to the Zeiss. The colors will be less warm and saturated than the Zeiss, without the signature Zeiss pop, but the CV is very sharp wide open. On a 12MP D700, the resolution of both lenses is about the same for all intents and purposes. By the way, the trade-off in speed with the CV is a nice short MFD so you can still do a tightly framed portrait and blur the background out nicely if that is to your taste.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.