1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Are The Levels Of Magnification On The D300 LCD Display?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by TMR Design, Jul 3, 2008.

1. I might have missed it in the manual or Thom Hogan's book but I can't seem to find this one little tidbit of information.

When I want to check sharpness of an image I zoom in to view on the camera's LCD but I'm curious as to what the levels of magnification are.

From the full view thumbnail I can use the zoom button to go up 7 levels of magnification. What are they? It would seem that 5 or 6 levels is actually 100% and the last 1 or 2 levels is beyond 100%. Is that correct?

Can someone chime in with this information?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  2. You are correct Robert. 100% should be 2 steps down from the maximum.

3. Thanks Phil.

So 5 presses is 100%?
    Does that mean that each level is 20%?

4. Six presses would be 100%. There are two beyond the sixth press so those would be over 100%. I've not compared the other levels of magnification to see what magnification they are though.

5. There are only a total of 7 levels (clicks), not 8. So where is 100%?

6. I have 8 clicks on mine.

This was posted on DPReview forums by Jerry Jongerius:

7. There are eight magnification levels the last two go beyond 1:1.

8. I'm confused. I'm sitting here right now with my D300 and I'm not going crazy.

From 0 (default thumbnail image) I can go 7 levels. There absolutely are not 8 levels above 0. There are 8 levels including 0.

So how do you explain this? I checked it a few times to make sure I had my info correct. either my D300 is different from all others or someone has the wrong information.

No matter what I do I only have 7 clicks from 0. Explanations?
    Can someone else actually check their D300?

9. Here is an alternative that I am using:

In "Custom Setting Menu"
    In "f Controls"
    In "f1 Multi selector center button"
    In "Playback Mode"
    I choose "Zoom On/Off"
    after the OK, I select "Medium Magnification"

That gives me a 100% view by pressing the center of the Multi selector button while reviewing a photo. One push to 100%, one push back to normal.

Bob

10. An alternative to what? I want to know what the levels of magnification are.

11. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    Good tip, thanks!

12. That's the same with mine. I wonder why yours is different, Robert. Which step does medium magnification give you? For mine, it's 6th step on medium, 4th step on low, and 8th step on high. By default thumbnail, you do mean the one with the file name, time, date, quality and resolution right? The step above default thumbnail has the yellow box showing and that is step one.

13. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    There are 8 clicks. The 6th is 100%

"Level / Window Size / Zoom
    0 / 4288 x 2848 / 16.85%
    1 / 3413 x 2560 / 18.75%
    2 / 2560 x 1920 / 25%
    3 / 1920 x 1440 / 33%
    4 / 1280 x 960 / 50%
    5 / 960 x 720 / 66%
    6 / 640 x 480 / 100%
    7 / 320 x 240 / 200%
    8 / 160 x 120 / 400% "

14. Hi Jonathan and others that chimed in on this one.

I figured it out.

Aparently, my camera had glitched at some point so that it would only zoom in 7 levels. When I changed the settings in f1 it corrected the glitch and Voila! 8 levels of magnification. I knew I was not losing my mind :biggrin:

I never knew about the zoom control in the f1 menu so I just played around and now it is working as it should and as others have suggested.

This is now how it works.

There are in fact 8 levels of magnification.
    On the Low setting, pressing the center of the controller zooms up 4 levels. On the medium setting, it goes up 6 levels to 100%.
    On the high setting, it zooms up 8 levels to 400%.

Now it makes sense and so do the previous responses to my question.

Thanks All.

15. Superb! I wonder why the glitch happenned in the first place:confused: :tongue:

16. Me too but it's been like that since I can remember. As far as I know I never had 8 levels and never changed any of those settings. Making one change fixed it but who knows what caused it. I'm just happy that it's working as it should.

17. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Yeah you were, you had 8 clicks all along, you're just too embarrassed to admit it :biggrin:

18. It must have been that last electro-shock I had. I think it affected my ability to count. :biggrin: :wink:

19. Jonathan, for clarification, in my post the "100% view" is level 6 and "normal" view is level 0.

Bob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.