What are TROLLS??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoDawg, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Guys who ask too many questions ...

:) Seriously, trolls are defined as people or groups of people who make postings on internet discussion groups for the purpose of inciting an emotional frantic response.

The term arose during the late 1970s when a rudimentary discussion groups known as usenet allowed unfettered access to text files that were publicly available as they were passed from computer to computer. Trolls, usually college computer science students, would try to 'take over' a discussion topic by posting wild yet plausible statements then watching while other people would discuss the 'troll' post for days or weeks.

The practice continues today in bulletin boards such as DP Review, where the art of trolling has reached professional levels. Todays usenet however, resembles something more like 'all spam, all the time'. Go to the astronomy or physics groups (sci.astro or sci.physics) and you might get to see to see some specimens of true geek trolls in action.

It's scary.

2. Thanks

I saw a big discussion about it.......never heard of someone being called a Troll.

3. Re: Thanks

Here's a description of the behavior of a troll

1. Newly joined (when they get banned they come back with a new name)
    2. They choose not disclose their email address
    3. They can't or dont produce any images
    4. claim to have extensive photographic experience
    5. argue statistics (measurebater)
    6. make highly controversial remarks
    7. have a short intense post history of voluble posts
    8. show more interest in making thier points than listening and understanding.
    9. are quick to personally insult those who differ or point out their errors.

Rich

4. HA!!

I had no idea there was such a definition. That is funny!! Too bad there are actually people...err....I mean trolls out there on the internet.

5. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Dawg, they are people who live under bridges!

:)

6. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Does that mean that trolls came up with the saying, "Don't burn your bridges behind you."? :wink:

Troll's least favorite song- "London Bridges Falling......" :wink:

Troll's theme song- "Bridges Over Troubled Waters" :wink:

Troll's favorite movie star- Lloyd..... Well, he did spend a lot of time in water :wink:

Troll's favorite card game- unhuh, you got it!!! :wink:

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Larry,

You should be on the stage. I think that there's one leaving for Santa Fe in about 10 minutes.... :lol:

Frank

8. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I actually went to Santa Fe one day. It was closed! :roll: We got to take these things in stages until B&H sends me a D2X. :idea: I could sing here until then! (Exit stage :arrow: )

Seems fitting that Trolls would be male. That leaves Trollop for the females! :p

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I like trollops!

I'll get me hat.

Neil

10. I was going to leave this thread alone, because it is so totally senseless, crass, unsympathetic and certainly goes completely against the idea of diversity in this country, but then I came across this:

Now, defaming my child-hood hero, the man I watched in Black and White, getting special dispension from my parents to stay up late. The man who always dove alone and always ended his show by saying you should "NEVER" dive along, glad there was no mixed message there. The man who went on to have such an illustrious career in movies such as Airplane. I mean, sheesh, Larry, this really is way out of line.......

Hey, look, I wrote all that trollish garbage without the use of a single emoticon. Pretty darned good, eh?

Oh, and Larry, don't give up your day job. This audience is WAY too easy to please :wink:

11. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Lol, Bill. At least you are old enough (and more?) to even remember. He was one of my heros too and I never missed a show!!! Day job? I'm retired so I can do whatever I want :twisted: Ya done good on the unuse of the yellar critters!