What are you doing?

"What are you doing?" The voice came from behind me as I composed a shot with the longer lens I had just put on the camera.

"Taking a picture of that barn down there," I said.

"I am asking you to not take pictures of my property (two dogs straining at their leashes)"

"But I am on a public road, and the law allows me to photograph anything I see from there."

"I am asking you NICELY not to take pictures of my property."

"It really is a beautiful shot. See how the sunlight plays off the side, and how the trees frame the barn?"

"I am asking you one last time NOT to take pictures of my property"

Strangely, I wasn't afraid despite the straining dogs. But I calmly decided the light would only last a short while longer, and time was wasting, so I left rather than argue.

Later I drove back on the same road to find that among the three flags hanging on the front of the farmhouse was a "Don't Tread on Me". And a few libertarian stickers adorned the car. This is not a typical libertarian view based on my friendships with several in Vermont. I think paranoia trumped any true libertarianism. And why I don't know ... in my wrinkled khak shorts, dishelved shirt, deck shoes, and full beard I didn't exactly look like a federal agent.

Thought I'd share. I've read the stories of others here, but this was a new one for me.

Oh, by the way, I already had the following picture in my camera:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

:smile:

You federal agents come in many guises, luckily this fellow has taken the online instruction on how to recognize you. The correct response on your part is to pull the front of your shirt collar up and talk into it saying "Being told to leave. Will return after dark with team. Over and out." Then politely say "Thank you Sir. We'll be seeing you later. Better lock those dogs up."

I ran into same in NC, never got off the right of way, an old barn, owner came FLYING down the side of the road on a 0 turn lawn mower, Yes I see the private sign, no I have not stepped on private property. Can I walk around back and take a pic? hell No, had my pics and left. Odd folks. this unique building was not 20 feet off the road, darn they must have a super good alarm system that senses a NIKON cause he was on me in 3 minutes from 200 yards away.

Paranoid people, you did the right thing by walking away.
Exactly...

If someone says to me "Don't take a picture of me, my property, my dog,
my kid, my car, my lawnmower" or whatever then I don't and I delete any
images I've already taken... Not because of "the law" or "my rights" but
because of simple human courtesy... If I didn't want someone taking a
picture of me or mine than I simply don't want them doing it and would
expect to be respected in this regard...

JMHO... :wink:

Besides, it's a known fact that when you take a picture of someone you
capture their soul...! :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
We are violent people though.
Think about it,
We frame someone, then we shoot them, then we hang them on the wall.

I know prob been said one to many times LOL

Exactly...

I wished more people shared this common curtsey. While a photographer might see a old barn, that is his home.
Gary

Exactly...

+1

Exactly...

JMHO... :wink:

Besides, it's a known fact that when you take a picture of someone you
capture their soul...! :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin:
+1

William - If someone threatened and intimidated me with a couple of straining dogs, I definitely would not take the pictue. However, simple human courtesy would have nothing to do with it; I'd be just trying to avoid getting attacked. We live in a violent country and Harry is lucky his new friend didn't threaten him with more than dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all of you for your POV's. I'm digesting and mulling them ... still not sure what my position is. I know I did respect his desire for me to stop. I'm not sure I'm willing to say I should give up a decent, harmless picture of a barn because of his paranoia. I think I am able to distinguish whether possession of the picture in my picture collection (with no identification as to when or where) is really a disservice to him.

And BTW, a meth lab or still did come to mind ... only reason I could come up quickly for the paranoia. But certainly not any evidence of that in the picture.

Had the paranoid farmer let his dog loose on Harry, it would have been a major lawsuit. Maybe that farmer needed to get sued so that other paranoid folks could learn to chill out; after all it's only a picture!

I would have reported him to the police, along with any suspicions of illegal activity on his property. The police probably wouldn't do anything, but his name would get on a database and it might help the next photographer.

That's always a good time to switch your camera into movie mode and record the conversation, just in case...

I would have reported him to the police, along with any suspicions of illegal activity on his property. The police probably wouldn't do anything, but his name would get on a database and it might help the next photographer.
I dont agree with that. While I understand the urge to take a good shot. I also feel that common courtesy is lacking these days. Yes you, as a photographer, within your rights to take a photo but the guy paranoid or not does not want you taking a photo of his property. While that may not be his right for me I wouldnt do it out of respect. As much as I would trust that if I didnt want my image or an image of something of mine taken in a public place (assuming I knew)that the person would respect my wishes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom