What Camera Gear Do You Hope Santa Brings You?

Nearly every year I think I'm set for at least another year and won't need anything in the mean time. Then I learn about a product category that is new to me or I want an item for my makeshift studio that will make life easier or more fun when constructing my tabletop setups. As an example, at the beginning of the current year I had not considered buying the items needed to do drop art photography. Yet after buying a one-bottle apparatus I fairly quickly expanded it to one that has three bottles.

But this year will be different; I really won't buy anything.

Uh oh. As I type this I forgot that I already plan to buy and assemble a small shed. Doing so will allow me to move household stuff currently stored in my makeshift studio into the shed. That will hopefully allow enough room for the first time for me to walk around in my makeshift studio without knocking over light stands and items precisely set up on the tabletop.

But I really won't be buying any new photo gear or licensing any new software. Unless I have a need for the two extra flash units I've been thinking about. :D

Last edited:
I'm waiting for my local camera shop to get a Sony 12-24mm GM wide-angle lens in stock; so far, no luck, but I'm not in any great hurry. I need/want something in the wide-angle realm and that will pretty much take care of my lens needs. After considering various options kept going back to seriously considering this one, and although it's pretty expensive, it offers more versatility than a prime and all the reviews have been outstanding. I'd rather go to the store and actually handle the thing, though, prior to purchasing, just to be absolutely sure that this is what I really want, since I really haven't done much with wide-angle shooting in the past. Otherwise I'd just order online. So.....at the rate we're going, though, in terms of availability it might not be Santa Claus who brings me the lens -- it might be the Easter Bunny! LOL!!

Real Name
Paul
Santa let me trade in my D7000, three lenses and an SU-800 and come home with a Z6 (used and under 400 shutter count), a 50/1.8S, an FTZ adaptor and a Sigma 105/2.8 OS macro.

Last edited:
I use my ipad pro a great deal. It is several years old. So I was debating between the 85 f1.8 S lens and a new ipad pro. The iPad pro won! I'll get an 85 f1.8 later in the spring when I have more photography opportunities. I think we are going to take on a couple of home improvement projects to keep us busy this winter.

This "lock down" and "stay at home" has taken the air out of shooting, for me.
The only thing on my list is a Tamron 17-50/2.8, but I'm not excited about that, so it may not be under the tree.

So I've been stuck at home reading. A new Kindle e-reader is going under the tree.

I want a camera with about 100mpx, noiseless iso from 25-25,000 with a 10.5-800mm f2.8 lens. Oh, and it has to fit in my pocket.
That is what I want.
Luckily I do not need anything. My present gear is not limiting my imaging.
But, I that won't keep my from buying stuff.
gary

You forgot, it has to be less than $2,000. :D

Funny....after I posted a few minutes ago I looked on Fred Miranda to see what was there. When I bought my Z50 it only came with the 16-50 lens. I have a 70-300 to use with it, but I have to use it with the FTZ. I just found the telephoto kit lens for the Z50 for a good price. So I bought that for myself. It will be nice to pack the lighter weight telephoto when we go snowshoeing this winter. So, Merry Christmas to me!! Greg is getting the little DJI mini drone that will fit in his hiking backpack. We should have fun getting out this winter.

This year nothing.
No travel planned, lockdown and staying indoors.
:-(

Todd, you're going to LOVE that 135mm f/1.8!!!! It is a gorgeous lens, especially for portraits, but also does really well for other things, too.

I can't believe I forgot about this, but a while ago on a whim I impulsively ordered myself a fun and rather gimmicky "toy," which arrived today: the Lensbaby Sol 45! So Santa did surprise me today after all! LOL! It's a fun little thing -- actually right now I'm still getting the hang of it. Definitely it is a specialty lens, not something one would use all the time, absolutely not a replacement for my beloved 90mm macro lens, but it's rather cool, actually.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom