What Camera Gear Do You Hope Santa Brings You?

Todd, you're going to LOVE that 135mm f/1.8!!!! It is a gorgeous lens, especially for portraits, but also does really well for other things, too.

I can't believe I forgot about this, but a while ago on a whim I impulsively ordered myself a fun and rather gimmicky "toy," which arrived today: the Lensbaby Sol 45! So Santa did surprise me today after all! LOL! It's a fun little thing -- actually right now I'm still getting the hang of it. Definitely it is a specialty lens, not something one would use all the time, absolutely not a replacement for my beloved 90mm macro lens, but it's rather cool, actually.

I have been eyeing that 90mm for sometime, but so far the NISI closeup filter is doing great. Plus I hear rumors that a 35mm GM might be coming in 2021 that would move up on the list.

My 90mm is one of my two favorite lenses (the other being the 100-400mm). Back when I was still in the decision-making phase of choosing gear, I knew one thing right off the bat, and that was that if I bought Sony, that the first lens on the list was going to be that 90mm macro, and the second lens would be the 50mm macro. The third was supposed to have been the very useful 24-105mm, but in the store I changed my mind and bought the lovely 135mm f/1.8 instead. I don't regret that! :). With those three lenses as starting points, as time went on and a need arose for a particular lens, I'd add it. That 24-105mm is still on the list but it has been bumped down, time and time again as some other lens has pushed its way to the top, becoming higher in priority. I think once I've gone with the 24-105mm and the 12-24mm GM, then I'll be done. We'll see how well I stick to that......LOL!!!

Indeed, I wish Santa would bring me some common sense about doing the same. When I was running errands today, I came upon a construction scene where one crane was maneuvering part of another crane down onto the sidewalk. As if that wouldn't have made a good enough photo, there were about six people standing on the very end of the crane way up above the ground where they had separated the lowered part of the crane from the remaining part still intact.
Oh yea...lot's of interesting "street shots" can gathered just while waiting at a red light :)

Changing my mind, I would love to get an M1 MacBook Air/Pro and a Sony ZV-1, and to complete the kit, a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen USB Audio Interface, this just to put some motion and sound to my pictures.

Once we can travel safely, it will be the super-vario-elmar 11-23 or possibly the Sigma L mount 100-400 for my CL. The lens I buy would depend on where we go. But until I feel safe doing more than day trips, I will stick with what I have. A secondary effect to the cancer was to damage my lungs. Covid-19 would be an automatic ICU admittance for me.

With a D7100 and D750, a small collection of lenses and flashes and a couple of tripods, I basically stopped following new developments and lusting for new gear. For what I usually shoot, 6000x4000 is plenty of resolution and the cameras have sufficient low light capability. The D70 was a big step forward and cameras that followed offered significant improvements but it seemed at some point that subsequent improvements were more incremental.

Of course, others with different interests may find these cameras lacking in some areas or may just enjoy playing with new equipment but as I've said before, if I don't like the shots I get it's not the fault of the gear.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I, too, have been blessed this year. A few indulgences and still healthy. That is something for which to be thankful!

Real Name
Andy
Having already bought the 14-24mm f/2.8 S as a pre-order, I'm not sure I deserve another "present." But I purchased a gimbals on special at B&H to go with my recently-acquired Rode mic in hopes of learning to shoot passable video footage in 2021.

Latest threads

Top Bottom