What camera to buy the wife...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Hi All,
    My wife frequently goes to many interesting locations for work because she is in the travel industy. She has gotten caught up in my hobby and enjoys photography but because she is traveling for work and not recreation, she does not want to be burdened down by a bulky camera body and absolutly will not change lenses. She has no interest in gadgets and likes to keep things simple. I got her a D70 with the kit lens 18-70 and she did a great job bringing home some great images. She totally uses the D70 as a point and shoot. She still doesn't know how to change the ISO setting or even understand why you would change it. She won't read the manual or says she can't understand it when she does. She became frustrated by the limitations and wanted more reach. I got her the 18-200 VR but now she just wants a small (purse size) all-in-one camera with the reach and width of the 18-200 but that does not have interchangable lenses.

I have not kept abreast of point and shoots, so I don't know what is even available. Is there such a digital pocket camera? I want the best I can get in this catagory so price and brand name is not an issue, but I would like something with enough MPs to print at least 11x17 (interpolated).

The added benefit is that I get to keep the 18-200 if I get her a point and shoot.

thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

2. Ales

Ales

Dec 29, 2005
    Kamnik, Slovenia
    I have Nikon P2. I am very satisfied with it. But I only do prints 7x5 (18cmx13cm). Out of camera Images are a little soft, but are very good sharpened with Picture Project.

But remember, DSLR and point and shoot are very differnt things. DSLR is a luxury.

It has a small problem with focusing in lower light at tele zoom.

I can post some images if you wish.

Ales

3. espn

espn

Dec 11, 2005
    Singapore
    My sister has the CoolPix S4, f/3.5 constant throughout the whole 10x of zoom, perhaps you might want to consider it :)

It lasted pretty well with rechargable AA batteries while in Japan earlier, near sub-zero temperatures.

4. RForshey

RForshey Guest

5. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    If I were buying

I am and dyed in the wool Nikon owner and user but I would certainly consider the Canon Powershot S2 IS Digital Camera, 5.0 Megapixel, 12x Optical Zoom, 4x Digital Zoom. I copied the title from Adorama's site. Large zoom range plus stabilization. If that doesn't sell, the S1, S2, S3 Nikon (I have the S1) can be dropped in a shirt pocket or a purse.

6. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Take a look at some of the Kodak P&S cameras such as the V550 for a real small camera. Z730 is a fantastic 5MP 4x optical camera that really rocks.
    Another really nice one is the C360, very well built and takes great photos.
    All are among the top selling cameras in the USA (Kodak out sells Nikon and all other brands in the US)

7. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I have the CP8800 and I absolutely love it! It has many features that allow me to do a variety of photography, but w/the ease of a point and shoot. It's also much lighter than any of the DSLR's I've handled. I use Patrick's D2x once in a while, but I always come back to the CP8800 since it's just so handy. Here's a link to my shots that I've taken w/the CP8800 (it's on Patrick's smugmug site). http://pbramlett.smugmug.com/gallery/443094
    Hope this helps at least just a little.

8. Well "purse-sized" means different things to different ladies, you know!!

For me purse-sized translates to a 5-megapixel Canon Digital Elph SD400 in its little red leather "Coach" case. Very sweet, nice snapshots, but not a lot of reach (only "3x"). I have fun with this little cam -- I let it dangle from my arm when I am traversing, for example, Bloomingdale's cosmetics department. I get a lot of great informal, candid stuff that way. ((not for publication of course, just for practice and creativity and fun.))

For a point-n-shoot with REACH, I currently have the 5.1 megapixel, Sony DSC-H1 Cybershot "Super Steady Shot" which has a 12x Optical Zoom that translates to about a 420mm reach -- not too shabby. ((That 420 mm reach would cost you about $5K and 7 pounds in Nikkor land!! It sure did cost ME that anyway!!)) I love this little Cybershot, and I can say from experience that it handles itself very well in its A(uto) and P modes. ((I call those the Grocery Store modes, but since I am female I can perhaps sneak that "sexist" pun past the political correctness police???)) However, this little wonder is a tad larger than purse-sized, so your lady should really go to the camera store and handle all the point-n-shoots herself to figure out the various compromises between megapixels, optical zoom and purse-sizing.

There's a lot of great stuff out there in the point-n-shoot realm. I've always kept a few around for Creativity Challenges and also just for sheer laziness because sometimes I only want a simple "field record" of some bird at the back yard feeder for documentary purposes.

If you're anything like me, you'll probably wind up being totally fascinated with whatever point-n-shoot you all choose and will want to learn how to use it as part of your own photographic arsenal.

Have fun choosing!!
    Hope this helps.....

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I just bought each of my daughters a Canon SD30 5 mp point and shoot. Seems like a nice camera so far with plenty of automatic options. They come in several colors, I opted for black ($50.00 cheaper than trendy colors).

10. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    I'm also in support of CP8800. I still have/use my 5700 and it's a great little (didn't seem little at all until I got the D70, matter of fact, I used a tiny Minolta for occasions when I thought 5700 would be too "huge". Little did I know :biggrin:) and VERY capable camera.

11. Okay, well many thanks to all who took the time and contributed. Great responses and just what I hoped for. But to quote Zero Mostel (I think), a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

I discussed your suggestions and showed her the reviews of the cameras suggested. But she has just fallen in love with the 18-200mm VR. She will not give it up, (much to my dismay). I think I might have heard somthing about cold dead hands, but I could not be sure, as she was mumbling it under her breath. She said she wants to keep the D70 with the 18-200, which is actually a good thing, because I enjoy her enthusiasm which we share together. I am actually glad she has embraced the camera as she has, (makes it easier for me to justify my absurd LL). So now, I have placed another order with Roberts in Indiana for a second copy of the lens which I can use (since she refuses to part with hers). We must appear quite the site walking around, each pointing our Nikon DSLR cameras with matching 18-200 lenses zooming in and out as we aim at various things along the way like visitors from another planet investigating and discovering our surroundings for the first time.

The 18-200 is really a great addition to the line up and a wonderful walk around lens which I suspect will riside on my own camera full time now. I will probably keep the 70-200 and permanently fix the 1.7 TC to it for that bit of reach not available on the 18-200. Or I might even decide to sell (or trade) my 70-200 / 85 f1.2 / 28 f1.2 and 17-55 to pop for a 200-400. I can see a kit consisting of the Sigma 10-20, the Nikon 18-200 and the Nikon 200-400 along with a good macro lens. Hmmmm, if anyone is interested, I have the best of the best Nikons under 200mm in absolutely pristine condition.