1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What Camera would you buy.....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by TerribleTwins, Sep 20, 2008.

1. an 11 year old.

My Son is 11 & interested in photography & is getting very frustrated with the limitations of his point & Shoot coolpix (lack of good telephoto & view finder)

I am considering getting him a 2nd hand entry level DLSR e.g. D40, D50 or a D70, probably coupled to a 28-105 (if I can find one after Uncle Franks threads on this lens!!)

Thoughts, comments appreciated.

2. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

I would consider two things...

1. How responsible is your Son...(the fact that you're even considering getting him a DSLR answers that question)...very responsible...

2. Your budget...Get the best your budget will allow....

Hey...IIRC, Tiger Woods' Dad got him a set of his own Golf clubs at around the age of 5 or 6..... I figure that you're 5 or 6 years behind the 8 ball:biggrin:

3. thats really difficult to say. Mind you, if you have lenses kicking around to lend him, you can pick up used d50s and d70s for pretty damn cheap nowadays...and you can use it for a backup body when he's not looking!

4. ibcj

ibcj

Dec 19, 2006
    New York
    Any of the cameras you mentioned would be a great choice. I have a D40 that my six year old uses on a regular basis. It works out well because it is perfect for his small hands. He is learning the basics and is very careful with the camera. I keep the kit lens on just in case. :eek: 

I still remember the excitement when I first used an slr as a child. It is really nice to now see my children so excited about photography.

p904216710-3.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    IF they're responsible and IF they're familiar with the basics, I'll second a D50 or D70........ My oldest started with a D70 in early Middle School (about 12)......

6. A d50 would be terrific, David, and the 28-105 will be a good choice with it or the d70. Note, though, that it won't auto focus on the d40.

7. 35mm B&W film and a darkroom.

8. Hi David,

What a coincidence! I think that's a great combination. I recently got my 11 year old son a D50 with a 28-105 lens (I was also swayed by Uncle Frank's photos!) My son's previous camera is a Canon S3is and he had some problems getting it to focus on what he wanted (zoo pictures with the bars in focus) and wasn't happy with the picture quality for no flash indoor shots. He's thrilled with the D50 (I think he enjoys photography more) and is very happy with the lens, especially the macro capability.

The only big drawback is lens sharing! My son missed the 12x zoom of the S3is, so I let him use my 70-300vr while the Blue Angels were here in the summer and now he uses it most of the time. I think you should consider matching or exceeding the zoom range of your son's coolpix otherwise he may be looking at using your lens. But then you might be able to justify getting more lens - "Honey, I'm getting that lens for our son to use"

Vivian

9. Another vote for a D40 or D50. If he really wants some reach, you can find 18-135 lenses for ~$150 used. They're AF-S so you can use it with whichever body you can find. Optically they're pretty good, though I'm sure your son won't care about the distortion on the wider end they most of us tend to shy away from.

I think a D50 and a 50 1.8 would also be a great starting combination.

10. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    +1 for a D50, its a great camera even to this day.

I think its wonderful that you are getting a DLSR for him at this early age. I was given my first SLR at around 12, it was a pentax. To this day, I still attribute my love of photography to the first days of using that SLR.

Another thing to consider would be a cheap tripod, so that he can play with different exposure settings and such, to get a better feel. I used to use mine all the time back then for nighttime photography. Ah, the good old days.

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I got my 11 year old a used D-70 last year:biggrin: Great little camera. While ordering at Keh I also picked him a Nikkor 28 2.8 AF and threw in (on loan) my classic Nikkor 50 2 AIS and my Nikkor 3oo 4.5 ED-IF AIS. I also gave him a bag and a tripod plus a monopod. Since than I trade him back the Nikkor 300 4.5 ED-IF AIS for a AF 70-300 4-5.6. He told me "Dad I love the zoom but you ***** me taking back the MF 300:tongue:. To funny. Now Iv been told by him to to forget about getting the Nikkor 50 2 AIS back. He has helped me on the computer countless times.And showed me how to use Capture N.X2:smile: And is beginning to develop his own unique style. Very differnt from my own. Very cool. Now he saving for a D-700 and I told him when he gets half I will chip in the rest. Little did I know he already has $600.00 in the bank:eek: . My 5 year old now wants a camera. And the Daughter has a point and shoot. It's great to share the love of photography with the kids.

Gregory

12. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    My 8 year old son uses my old Panasonic FZ30. It handles much like a DSLR, has shutter and aperture wheels in the same spots as Nikon, manual focus and zoom rings, and a 12x zoom. He has a great time with it, during the summer I make up photo scavenger hunts for him to go on.

You can pick them up for $300 or less on Ebay, about the same as a D70 so I don't know if I'd get the FZ over the D70, I think for me it would depend on how many spare lenses I had to loan him.

13. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

very cool.imagin back before the new millinium.i remember back in the early 90 i was shooting with nikon d90s.my friends young son was so interested in my photogragphy i ended up giving him an old nikkormatt.point is digital or not photograghy is a great hobby.
    heck my first encounter with a slr was in 1969 my 6th grade teacher had a Yashica slr.he let us use it.at the end of the school year he would show us slide.it was very excitting and memerable.

14. Get the cheapest camera. If he can master that, then let him upgrade. He should earn his way up. Just like kung fu.

15. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Master a camera:redface:. When did that ever stop any of us? Okay, more me. :smile:

Gregory

16. Best my budget will allow...or best budget that the financial controller will allow:biggrin:

Part of the Grand Design:biggrin:

Thanks for the advice on the D40...scratch that option...now we are looking at the D50 or the D70....BTW at one time KEH had lots of 28-105's in...now I have to resort to Adorama!!!!

I wish..That would be the prefered route for myself...but no time

Shhhh...the financial controller occasionally reads these & she doesn't need any help spotting my devious plans:biggrin:

No..I have a cheap tripod...I can hear it now..Honey, Chris is using the tripod...I just have to get a new, even more expensive one....:biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks for all your encouragement & advice. Based on the feed back..looks like the D50 is the lead candidate. I'm going to give Allens Camera a call..see if they have any in. That way we can go over & he can handle it....also gives me an excuse to look round a good camera shop!!!

17. Another vote here for the D50 (best value, not limited to AFS lenses) + a decent zoom. My 10 year old loves hers. Here are some of her photos with it: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=170752

I paired it up with the 18-70 and now the 18-135 which she likes even better. Good times, good times.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. word. But, he won't have access to something like that 'til high school. I'd say a D50 for now.

19. D100. Good camera and even less expensive. I'd spend as little as possible until I was absolutely certain this wasn't just a whim that will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2008
  20. Any one of them options would be great (D40,50,70,) , but keep in mind if you're going to be buying used lens , that you may want to get a camera that excepts screw drive lens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.