What can I do for this?

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Stef, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I am at the end and ready to throw my computer off my upstairs balcony.

I didn't use my desktop computer for a while and when I turned it on, I keep getting this screen. I restarted my computer, and I had to insert my disk to get it to even start up. I had to restore to a different date, and when I turned it off and started it today I had to go back thru this mess.

What is the ATA controller it is talking about?

Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

It is asking me for both Channel 0 and channel 1:confused::confused::confused:

2. Stefani

It is looking for a driver disk.

I know it may sound crazy, but before proceeding any further, power the machine down, then pull the power plug for a couple of minutes. Plug it back in and then restart the PC. I have had systems where this sort of reset things and solved these kinds of issues. No guarantees, but it's something to try first before proceeding on to the next step.

Is this a major brand PC or a "custom/white box"? If it's a major brand (Dell, HP, etc), you may need to find the driver disks that came with the system. (I know Dell includes one with all of theirs.) Worse case would be to call their tech support line for assistance. Pu the disk in and let Windows find the driver it wants.

If it's a custom machine, you'll need to check once again for driver disks. Depending on who made yours, you may or may not have any hope of getting "tech support." It all depends on who built it.

Cheers!!

Ken

3. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Ugh.. thanks for your help. I'm afraid to shut the dang thing off now. I want to back up my stuff first, but it wont recognize my external drives.

It's an HP machine, still fairly new. I think I got it in December, and hardly ever use it since my laptop is more convenient.

It didn't come with any disks.. just a partitioned section of my C drive with back up info. When I try to navigate to that section to search for drivers, it doesnt even give me the option. It is demanding a disk!

4. Stefani

In that case, I would surely give HP's tech support a call. I suspect you are not the only person on the planet to have this issue. they should be able to resolve it easily.

Cheers!!

Ken

5. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to assist me. I gave up on it last night, because it was really pi$$ing me off. I am at work now and actually found a support page on HP's web site giving me a few options to try.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...c=en&product=3292439&lang=en&docname=bph07143

I am not real computer savvy, but I think I can try these. I did manage to roll back to a point that its not asking me for the drivers anymore, but it got so late last night that I didnt have time to try my external drives. I will do that when I get home.

Now... do you know if there is a way to take vista off my machine? It came as an XP machine with a free upgrade when Vista became available. I upgraded and at first had no problems other than iTunes not working (it still worked on my laptop, so that was ok with me.) Now I am having all kinds of problems and I am assuming that it's due to issues with Vista.

6. Stefani

There are two things to consider. First, I have found Vista to be super reliable and much faster than XP. So, option one might be to work though the issues and solve them.

If you really want to "roll back" to XP there is only one way to do it .. reinstall XP. There's just too many changes to try to undo a Vista Upgrade. The good news is, if you can do a full system restore (either with HPs restore disks or a restore partition) it will take your machine back to the day you bought it. The bad news is you'll loose everything currently on the system and have to do a ton of updates to bring it up to date. You will also have to reinstall ALL of your software applications and transfer back all of your data files. Obviously not something for the feint of heart ... it also takes a lot of time. Plan on a LONG afternoon/evening to get it done!! BACKUP ALL DATA FILES (PICTURES, DOCS, ETC.) BEFORE STARTING THIS PROCESS!!

If your system came from HP as "Vista Ready" (should be a sticker on it somewhere) it will probably be easier and less painful to solve the Vista problems.

If you'd like help ... drop me an email. I also have MSN Messenger at this email address: ken --at-- minutemansolutions.com. Be happy to help.

Cheers!!

Ken

7. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Well I sat down yesterday and played with my computer.

The first thing I did was went to a restore point of July 12, and that got rid of the request for drivers. So far so good. But then,.. when I was trying to attach my new external drive, it would not recognize it still. Sooo I thought long and hard about it... and just booted from the Vista disk and reinstalled it.

I have zero problems (for now) and I have transferred all my info to the external drive that is now recognized by my computer.

The funny thing is that I didn't lose any data and I though when you did a recovery, you lost everything?

I'm just happy that my computer is running just as good as the day I bought it. I hooked up my cable, and now I can watch TV too. :rolleyes: It's a cool world with cool toys that we live in... :wink:

Thanks again Ken for your help. I was almost going to bug you to help me, but I wanted to try it alone first. If it ever happens again, I won't remember what I did, or how I did it, so I'm sure I will be back asking questions. :Smart:

8. Any time ... feel free.

You chose the option to just re-installed the OS over the old one, rather than a full system restore. That's why your data files didn't go away. That's excellent!!

Cheers!!

Ken