What card reader and SD cards?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by lms6241, May 26, 2007.

1. lms6241

lms6241

Apr 16, 2007
    Michigan
    What card reader do you use or would you recommend? I was looking at the sandisk readers and the camera store suggested the Kingston TravelLite. I'm planning on ordering the Sandisk Ultra II 2GB or the Sandisk Ultra II plus which has the built in USB port. What are your opinions on the Sandisk Plus with the USB built in. I have a PNY 1GB, is that alright to use in the D50? Are there any brand of SD cards to stay away from?

2. jaymc

jaymc Guest

On my last computer, (Pentium 4, 2.0GHz, 1GB ram), I replaced the 3 1/2" drive with a 9 in 1 card reader and attached to a USB 2.0 card (w/4 USB ports) in a PCI slot.
    Have since replaced that computer with a Gateway (3.0GHz dual core, 2GB ram) that had a built in card reader already in place.
    I much prefer card readers built into the computer rather than a separate card reader that plugs into a USB port. Less clutter and wires.
    Have always used the Sandisk mainly because I've had no problems with them and they are readily availble at Costco.

- Jay

3. I use the Lexar SD card reader. They came packed with my 2g cards. The smallest, fastest card reader I've ever used.

I intend to buy the CF version of this reader for my Nikon cameras.

4. JFYI, when I went to the D200, from my D80, I had to go CF. I started using the same, multi-card USB 2.0 HS reader that I had been using for my SD cards w/ the CF. It was sloooow. I got the Lexar CF Firewire version and it literally doubled the DL speed of my card (as measured through my download manager. Highly recommend FW if you can; my extra USB 2.0 card has 2 FW ports for not much more $.

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky