What causes this screen on my MacBook Pro?

I've never heard this and i have left my previous 2000 Pismo and my current 2012 MBP in sleep mode exclusively. If this is a software issue, i'll believe it when I see it but my vote is on video card/cable/logic board.
My MBP is a 15 inch, it stays in sleep mode for over a week. It doesn't do this. I rarely reboot it.
My MBP is an older version (2012) and sleeps for days. I reboot about once a month or so.

There may be specific combinations of hardware and software that produce this problem.

But the Apple tech may have been blowing smoke. I don't rule that out.

Last edited:
For some reason I have always been wary about using "sleep" with my machines, and so they are either actively on and working for me or they are shut down altogether. I usually shut down at night when going to bed and also during the day if we are about to have a major storm or if I'm going to be away from the house for several hours. Frankly, I've always thought the thing about "I've had my machine running for 56 days without rebooting" is a bit silly and I don't see the logic in it. A reboot refreshes everything. Why not use it? I've been doing this since 2005 and have not had any problems. I also do not keep my HDD and SSD external drives connected to my computers, either. When I am ready to use one I plug it in and when I'm finished, I eject it and unplug it. Again, this seems to have prevented problems that I see other people reporting from time to time.

I've never heard this and i have left my previous 2000 Pismo and my current 2012 MBP in sleep mode exclusively. If this is a software issue, i'll believe it when I see it but my vote is on video card/cable/logic board.
My MBP is a 15 inch, it stays in sleep mode for over a week. It doesn't do this. I rarely reboot it.
My MBP is an older version (2012) and sleeps for days. I reboot about once a month or so.
For some reason I have always been wary about using "sleep" with my machines, and so they are either actively on and working for me or they are shut down altogether. I usually shut down at night when going to bed and also during the day if we are about to have a major storm or if I'm going to be away from the house for several hours. Frankly, I've always thought the thing about "I've had my machine running for 56 days without rebooting" is a bit silly and I don't see the logic in it. A reboot refreshes everything. Why not use it? I've been doing this since 2005 and have not had any problems. I also do not keep my HDD and SSD external drives connected to my computers, either. When I am ready to use one I plug it in and when I'm finished, I eject it and unplug it. Again, this seems to have prevented problems that I see other people reporting from time to time.

Looks like another good topic to argue about. Knives out! :D

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Conspirationalist central says this only happens to people running the older versions of the SETI app :drowning:

For real, sounds like a driver / hardware sync issue between hardware initialization and the drivers that communicate with the display. I have a windows lower cost HP box that I added a third party video card to that will not initialize the display without ”encouragement” on restart....

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Thanks for your thoughts, folks.

The one-year point on this computer was the day after I had the chat with Apple Support. So I do have a record of the problem occurring before the warranty expired. I don't have any extended care contract as I think they are generally a waste of money.

The nearest "Genius Bar" is in Greensboro, NC, about 150 miles from me. There many still be an Apple Authorized repairman in a local electronics store. I'll look into that.
If I recall correctly your nearest Apple store is quite some distance. It might still be worth the visit. I had a 17-inch MacBook Pro that had video problems 3 weeks after the end of the 3-year AppleCare window. I took it to the store. They found the NVidia card had a known problem that was covered under an NVidia warranty somehow. They were unable to get a new card after two weeks, so they gave me a new laptop!

Latest threads

Top Bottom