What controls do I care about if I shoot RAW?

Like the difference between the d200 and the d80. I know the d200 is typically regarded as a nicer camera and more pro because of the ergonomics, more of a joy to use. I gather that from reading it over and over and the same with the d300 vs. say the d90. All good cameras but different ergonomics.

But being inexperience I don't know what I'd want to get to quickly shooting RAW other than (and I hope I get these right):

ev compensation
the wheels on back and front
iso
shutter
aperture

I can't think of a lot more than that and I thought they were kind of easy to get to on at least the dxx series and the dxxx ones. Maybe I'm missing or don't remember the button placements.

These are the basics. Not sure what you mean by wheels on back and front unless you are referring to shutter and aperture.

Depending on what camera you are actually using, you may want to make sure ADL is off if the camera supports it as this affects exposure.

Also need to be careful of what mode your are in as these can also affect the basics.

It is not bad habit to know the picture controls and use them even if shooting in RAW, because Nikon's ViewNX and NX2 can read those controls and apply them to the NEF in post....

I shoot raw, here are a few controls I use on my D300. Not sure if all these are on a D200.

ISO sensitivity settings (for auto ISO)
Flash shutter speed
Focus tracking with lock on

For picture controls:
Set picture control
High ISO NR
Long exposure NR

The reality is that RAW only affects the output format, and 'look' of the picture (depending on what s/w you process it in. As Lance says, NX2 will honour the settings in the camera). Raw doesn't affect any of the controls used to obtain that picture.

In other words, what I am trying to say is that you will still use any control which affects light capture (metering / shutter / aperture / iso), Focus (manual, AF-S / AF-C), Drive mode (single, Low, High), AF type (Single point, multi-point, dynamic, etc).

Whether or not those various controls will affect you depends on your subject and shooting style. A number of those particular controls tend to be buried in menus on the Dxx cameras, and exposed on the body on the Dxxx cameras.

The higher-end Dxx and Dxxxx cameras are certainly exposing a lot more control these days, without menu diving than (say) the D70 did. With the D70 you had to menu dive to control drive mode and af type, which drove me nuts!!

You should still try to get White Balance close in RAW. Anything modified in picture modes etc doesnt really matter too much (unless you use NX2).

Just imagine that you have a roll of Fuji Velvia in the camera instead of a sensor and then do what you would have done if it were so.

DG

I am not sure of your question but looking at it from "What do I need to get right when shooting raw" would yield a few things. Most importantly focus, then ISO/exposure/shutter speed, then composition. These things cannot be corrected in raw if they are way off the mark. Pretty much everything else can; ie: NR, white balance, sharpening, contrast, saving highlights/shadows, etc.

Real Name
Randy
raw vs jpg, it's no different when you are shooting
get the exposure right and focus

the diff is latter in PP when you can fix/change more in PP

My question was asked because I was looking at the d80 and d200 (already read comparisons) but I had to ask myself when would I use the d200 buttons and features for the extra cost over the d80 when I thought they had the same sensor.

As long as I can get to the basic stuff with out menu diving like ISO, aperture, shutter, ev then I don't know that I need anything extra on the D200. The D80 images should look the same. Right?

I was going older because I am hoping to find a good deal with good lenses so lower body good lens.

If you put it into 'P' you don't really have to worry about any settings :)

All settings will affect the image that you take - shooting raw gives you breathing room when it doesn't come out quite as you expected. The buttons on the d200 make it much easier to adjust the settings when you need to without going in to make those changes.

I use them ALL the time; since conditions aren't always the same when shooting. indoors/outdoors/studio/cloudy/sunny/etc. Getting it right when you shoot means you don't have to spend time adjusting in PP.

Like the difference between the d200 and the d80. I know the d200 is typically regarded as a nicer camera and more pro because of the ergonomics, more of a joy to use. All good cameras but different ergonomics.

I can't think of a lot more than that and I thought they were kind of easy to get to on at least the dxx series and the dxxx ones. Maybe I'm missing or don't remember the button placements.

I have the d200 and prefer the extra buttons... not sure how much different the d80 is from the d50 but it's so much easier not having to go through the menus on the older cameras..

and in the For Sale section (I know you have a little ways to go) the price of the d80 & d200 are pretty close...

The differences in buttons and switches actually mostly relate to camera-side stuff, instead of sensor, if that makes sense. The extra controls on the Dx00s are things like AF mode, drive mode, metering, and stuff like that, as opposed to the things like WB that might be less important in RAW than in JPEG.

That said, buy a D90. Buying a D80 or D200 at this point doesn't really make sense. With two generations of sensor since those cameras, you'll get much more useful results with even an entry-level camera like a D3100. Ergonomics are no contest, but the point will come quite quickly at which it's really hard to have a camera that can't shoot useably past ISO 800 while the newest entry-level bodies can shoot to 3200, not to mention the improvements in dynamic range and the extra resolution. The D90 is last-gen, but it's still much closer to the current cameras in performance, and the difference in practical use is critical. (I experienced the same thing with a D2X and an upgrade to a D300s.)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom