What do use to Catalog

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by TheKO, May 25, 2005.

1. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I have played with several software packages to try to determine which is the best cataloging software.

I think I have just convinced myself of using ACDsee 7.0 as it seems to have everything I need it to have.

I was wondering if these programs "slow down" when one starts to get thousands of pictures in th edata base or on file.

Anyone have any comments?

2. Henk

Henk Guest

I use Imatch which works pretty good, very customizable and fast. Works with NEF as well (pretty much every image format) and is cheap. http://www.photools.com for more info.
    Have been using adobe album before but it crashed on large panorama images.
    regards

Henk

3. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    a vote for ACDSee

I've used ACDSee for years. A few years back, I tried iMatch but found it too complicated and the User Interface was kind of clumsy; maybe it's gotten better now. Then after a Ron Resnick session, I briefly migrated to Thumbsplus because I liked the Comparison feature. When ACDSee 7 came out, it had the comparison feature and so I am back. Throughout all the trials and errors, it seemed to be the program that followed my line of logic the best!

I haven't noticed any discenable slowdown as my database of photos grows.

4. Thumbs Plus for over 100,000 pics. including offline dvds and cds. I like it!

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Thanx...

Thanks bunch for comments.

I especially like the comparison capability as this is one item I was really looking for. I have already learned more about my metering by comparing two pctures taken while braketing and being able to compare the differences.

6. What am I missing? I've only been using good file and folder labeling over the past 4+ years and can find a .NEF file for any image in less then a couple of minutes. Now I only have 25,000 or so photos, but I'm not seeing why I'd need a cataloging package, but clearly they are valuable. Help me out.

7. I use ThumbsPlus 7 to manage my images for the following reasons.

- it can create contact sheets and galleries which I use to present to clients a formatted overview of the work I've done
    - it has batching capabilities with some image manipulation capability, not as sophisticated as CS but more efficient in a lot of ways
    - I scan compressed TIFF's and not all image packages can display them

Doug

8. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    I have used them all, and in the end you want something easy to use, Iview MultiMedia Pro. I have used Portfolio, IMatch, ACDSee and Fotostation.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I've just started using Iview MultiMedia Pro. Couldn't get on with iMatch.