What do you all think of my website redesign?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Wil,

At first glance… very positive!

No gimmick, no bells and whistles… just common sense
and good approach to communication through simple design.

It is dynamic and, from my side, very appealing. Keep going!

Have a good day…
Thanks! That is exactly what I was going for. I didn't want all kinds of stuff all over the place. I wanted it to be simple and easy to navigate. I wanted the focus to be on my photographs.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
First, wonderful images!

I like very much the over all design of the site. The photo transitions from one gallery to another are VERY cool!

The only thing I noticed was that the links under Portfolio are not working....nor do the About or Contact pages work....

First, wonderful images!

I like very much the over all design of the site. The photo transitions from one gallery to another are VERY cool!

The only thing I noticed was that the links under Portfolio are not working....nor do the About or Contact pages work....
Thanks! Those links aren't setup yet. I'm only keeping this page live until the entire site is done. :biggrin:

Looks good Will, very clean and straightforward, compare to your "old" site.
Thanks! I thought my old site was a little too busy.

I'm old, and I do not find the new "flat look" all that appealing. I dislike Flash sites even more :wink:, but I really don't like to scroll as much as I have to on your new page. Images are grand. I do like the way that you can filter by "place" on the page, but I would prefer not to see the top "My second adventure" all the time. Once you get into the galleries I think it would be much nicer if you used that space for images. Now that I think about it, this might mitigate some of my "scrolling" annoyance as well.

That is at least 3 cents worth of this old pharts opinion :biggrin:

I'm old, and I do not find the new "flat look" all that appealing. I dislike Flash sites even more :wink:, but I really don't like to scroll as much as I have to on your new page. Images are grand. I do like the way that you can filter by "place" on the page, but I would prefer not to see the top "My second adventure" all the time. Once you get into the galleries I think it would be much nicer if you used that space for images. Now that I think about it, this might mitigate some of my "scrolling" annoyance as well.

That is at least 3 cents worth of this old pharts opinion :biggrin:
Thanks Bill! This is why I put it here, there is a great demographic on this forum and I can get input from a lot of different people. I have a bunch of things to toy around with before the site goes live.

I'll finish the site in a month and spend 2 months adjusting it :eek:

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Clean look, good colors, nice nag bar and menus.

But it's still confusing to me. It says, "Utah" at the top. Are you from Utah? Is this a site just for photos from Utah? Is this only a site about your adventures in Utah?
I found myself immediately looking for a link for photos from places other than Utah, to see what's what.

Since none of your links are active yet, it's just a little confusing, but it looks nice. The photos on the main page come up quickly and look spectacular. I also am not a fan of Flash sites, but yours is so minimal that it doesn't bother me. I would also recommend not having so many photos on the main page that scrolling is necessary. Just an opinion.

Overall, I think when you're finished with it, it will be excellent.

Clean look, good colors, nice nag bar and menus.

But it's still confusing to me. It says, "Utah" at the top. Are you from Utah? Is this a site just for photos from Utah? Is this only a site about your adventures in Utah?
I found myself immediately looking for a link for photos from places other than Utah, to see what's what.

Since none of your links are active yet, it's just a little confusing, but it looks nice. The photos on the main page come up quickly and look spectacular. I also am not a fan of Flash sites, but yours is so minimal that it doesn't bother me. I would also recommend not having so many photos on the main page that scrolling is necessary. Just an opinion.

Overall, I think when you're finished with it, it will be excellent.
Thanks. Once the other galleries are up, the titles, such as "Utah" will make a little more sense.

It's actually not a flash site, it's HTML5 and CSS.

I don't plan on having that many pictures on the pages once they go live. I put so many on to see how it handled the load and to test the sorting buttons.

I'm a geezer, like it a lot. Very easy to finf the photos, which is what I want to see.

The thing I'd like to be able to do is view the images "full-size" but I don't see
a way to do that...

Other than that it's pretty nice, all in all... :smile:

The thing I'd like to be able to do is view the images "full-size" but I don't see
a way to do that...

Other than that it's pretty nice, all in all... :smile:
Thanks William. As far as full size, I have the images set to be 800px on the long edge. Some of the images (mostly the portrait oriented ones) can be sized up by clicking the button in the top right corner of the image (in the slideshow view when you actually click on an image).

I typically don't put "full size" images on my site for my own security.

Real Name
Randy
your photography is superb

I am not a fan of the collage look though, too much scrolling and too many places to click
I like to see one image at a time w/o a cluttered bg

your photography is superb

I am not a fan of the collage look though, too much scrolling and too many places to click
I like to see one image at a time w/o a cluttered bg
Thanks Randy. I definitely have some tinkering to do :wink:

The images loaded slowly, and I was watching the race as some loaded faster than others, wondering which would finish first.

That's not what you really want a visitor to be thinking because the images are really nice.

Perhaps if you were loading in that first page with smaller images instead of a lot of full size ones they would load faster, then clicking on an image would link to the full size one.

just my old 61-yo lack of patience.

The images loaded slowly, and I was watching the race as some loaded faster than others, wondering which would finish first.

That's not what you really want a visitor to be thinking because the images are really nice.

Perhaps if you were loading in that first page with smaller images instead of a lot of full size ones they would load faster, then clicking on an image would link to the full size one.

just my old 61-yo lack of patience.
I'm most likely going to "page" the images so there isn't as much scrolling, so that should cut down on loading time.

Also, I have to optimize the images for the web, they pretty much just resized JPEGs at this point.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom