What do you do when a Solitary gets too close?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by sjlarue, Aug 30, 2008.

1. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    You clip it's wings :biggrin:

SolitarySandpiper02.jpg

I swear that these were only around ten feet away. Unheard of up here. Makes me wish that I had an extender for my Tamron.

SolitarySandpiper01.jpg

SolitarySandpiper04.jpg

When it's time to relax......It's Minnow time!
    SolitarySandpiper03.jpg

Plus a Greater Yellowlegs

GreaterYellowlegs1.jpg

and a Green Heron protecting it's mudhole:
    GreenHeronMane.jpg

Heron eating lunch and Solitary wing clips what a way to start a Looong weekend. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Really nice shots! I like #2 and 3 best. Also, the subject line is perfect!

3. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Karen, It was amazing how close the birds would get to us that day. Solitaries were flying two feet away from us and another guy that was there had a Canon 500 f4 and had to put a extender on it so he could focus in on them.

4. Very nice set Steve. Can't believe the birds got so close. You must be very attractive. :biggrin:

5. Just put on a fish suit and you're set :biggrin:

Nice shots Steve.

6. russowl

russowl

Jun 9, 2008
    Lima,Ohio
    Great shots Steve ,,, you ar on your way to a fantastic weekend ,,,, still workin' on green herons here,,, also gettin' ready to go to the resevoir,, been after the eagle and the osprey there....

7. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Phil,
    :biggrin: I think that the only reason that they were that close was that it was a small area to begin with. The "puddle" that had all of the minnows in it is very small with a boardwalk running through it. During the summer it dries out to almost nothing and the food and the birds get concentrated to a small area. Great opportunities to get up close and personal.

:502: Thanks Kees.

Thanks Russ. I hope you have a great weekend. I am going back down to some other places that have been reporting Terns and stuff like that...But that's tomorrow. :smile:

8. nice series, steve
    i very much enjoyed them

9. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice series. My favorite is the Green Heron. I love the spike hair.

10. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Greg, thanks Art. I like it when they put their hair up too because they do it so very rarely. But the ones that I have been around here lately are very territorial since there is so little feeding area to go around, they are puffing it up at every opportunity. :biggrin:

11. What a great run! Love those Solitary's!

12. sjlarue

sjlarue

Nov 18, 2007
    OH-IO
    Thanks Tom, Louie and evryone else that has looked and enjoyed these pictures. I enjoy bringing them to you.