What do you guys and gals think?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by BUCKEYE BIKER, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Strictly talking IQ, is there much difference between a 300 f4 afs and a 300 f4ED af (not sure if d)? I realize the focus speed will be slower, and filter sizes are different, minimum focus distance more, etc. My primary use would be birds and animals (hopefully stationary). I have no other AFS lenses at this time, so I am used to the slower focus speed.

I did have an opportunity to try another member (Bob Coutant's) 300 AFS and of course liked it very much. He very graciously allowed me to come to his farm last Friday and shoot some frames with his lens.

Another plus, in my situation with the older lens, is that my teleconverter will autofocus, where it will only meter with the AFS lens.

Any insight you may offer will be appreciated and noted.

Thanks

2. Thanks Greg, good to hear. I'm still in the thinking and lusting stage.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    For what it's worth, both have 2 ED elements, so the older version should be well corrected for CA like the AFS version.

Apart from the differences noted above, the AFS version has full-time manual over-ride which could be quite useful. The older AF 300/4 has a AF/M switch on the focus ring but it's an old design, the camera also needs to be switched to manual to get manual focusing. If you often switch between AF and manual focusing, the AFS version is much better.

4. Yes, Thank you. I had forgotten about that feature of the AFS.

5. That is a very sharp image IMO. Thanks for taking the time to post it. The information regarding the focus limiter is interesting also. I can see where that would be useful.

Thanks again

6. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Optically

I have found there to be absolutely no differences as I've shot them both a lot in the past.

7. Igor

Igor

May 15, 2005
    Ukraine, Europe
    I'd add that AFS version has closer focusing distance, which is very handy for close-ups.

8. Thanks Jim and Igor. The closer focusing with the AFS version is something I would like very much. Other than the convenience, it doesn't sound as if I can go wrong with either. Thanks again everyone.