What do you guys think of the 28 f/2.8 MF AI-S Lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Jun 15, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of getting one. Seems nice for a well priced MF prime. Any users want to chime in? Thanks!

2. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Jonathan
    The cause of much of my grief and certainly the origin of my particular LLD is a wonderful independent, but non-objective web site reviewing nikon lenses. It is run by a professional (very) photographer called Bjorn Rorslett who has actual handson experience of all the lenses he discusses and rates them according to their performance on specific Nikon bodies.
    http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating. He rates the 28/2.8 not very highly. He does recommend the 28/2.0, which I have, and is very sharp and a lovely FL on the D70. The other , more popular, better rated lens is the 24/2.8 in all of its various incarnations.

Another, much more opinionated site is run by Ken Rockwell, which is still worth a visit as long as you cross refer his views with other sources. He calls the shots as he sees them, and on lenses he seems very reliable.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jonathon,

Is there a special reason to purchase a 28mm prime lens? I was looking at what you currently have for glass and I was wondering what a 28mm would add to your shooting. :roll:

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

With the respect to the 28 mm f/2.8 MF Nikkors, you have to be very specific. The really nice version is the 8-element model focusing to 0.2m, which has excellent rendition and sharpness for close-up and near-range subjects, not equally good for distant subjects but many people like it nevertheless for such shooting. The other versions of the 28 have either 5 or 7 elements and are much less desireable.