What Do You Like To Use As Your Time Machine Backup Drive?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Personally, I'd rather use external HD's to back up all my data/images and also my computer images. Not that I'm a control freak....but I don't feel comfortable trusting someone else to take care of my "stuff" and charge me to do what I can do myself. YMMV..... ;)

Personally, I'd rather use external HD's to back up all my data/images and also my computer images. Not that I'm a control freak....but I don't feel comfortable trusting someone else to take care of my "stuff" and charge me to do what I can do myself. YMMV..... ;)
You run the risk of not being able to properly secure those files though on an external and/or your computer itself. If a tornado hits your house tomorrow, there's a good chance you just lost everything. If you're not at least storing 2 versions offsite, that's not a good backup plan. Not to mention, externals are more susceptible to failure than internal drives or redundant cloud backups.

Not to say you're doing it wrong, you're doing more than the majority of households out there but if your concerns are "trusting others" i'd put more faith in them than mother nature.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You run the risk of not being able to properly secure those files though on an external and/or your computer itself. If a tornado hits your house tomorrow, there's a good chance you just lost everything. If you're not at least storing 2 versions offsite, that's not a good backup plan. Not to mention, externals are more susceptible to failure than internal drives or redundant cloud backups.

Not to say you're doing it wrong, you're doing more than the majority of households out there but if your concerns are "trusting others" i'd put more faith in them than mother nature.
Agreed. I do have multiple backups - in different locations.

That's good, and kudos to you. One of the biggest benefits to cloud backups like backblaze are incremental updates (like time machine) and file versioning as well as infinite redundancy. The difference between your backup at your relatives house and the one at your friends house, for example, could be the difference between hours/days/weeks/months of new files. Not to mention, maintaining the externals and the process of running the backup.

With something like backblaze hooked up to a NAS, everything is automatic without user intervention. It would cost me right now about $10-12/mo to back up my NAS to backblaze and besides the initial upload, everything else would occur in real time and be available immediately from save.

I come from the computer software/hardware development world, and as such feel the reasonable life of information on a hard drive is maybe 5 minutes. Well, more realistic is maybe overnight. I use TM on an external drive. Next level is daily incremental backups of partitions on two external drives with Acronis TI. level three is a periodic (monthly?) backup of the mini and external drives to a removable drive with Superduper. Paranoid I know.

On another Mini running Bootcamp I use Acronis TI since it will backup both the APFS and NTFS partitions on a single backup file. Then a second Acronis weekly (monthly?) backup to a removable drive.

Then to be sure I have my main system (Mini and external drives) on a UPS that will shut down the system in an orderly fashion after a few minutes of power loss.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I come from the computer software/hardware development world, and as such feel the reasonable life of information on a hard drive is maybe 5 minutes. Well, more realistic is maybe overnight. I use TM on an external drive. Next level is daily incremental backups of partitions on two external drives with Acronis TI. level three is a periodic (monthly?) backup of the mini and external drives to a removable drive with Superduper. Paranoid I know.

On another Mini running Bootcamp I use Acronis TI since it will backup both the APFS and NTFS partitions on a single backup file. Then a second Acronis weekly (monthly?) backup to a removable drive.

Then to be sure I have my main system (Mini and external drives) on a UPS that will shut down the system in an orderly fashion after a few minutes of power loss.
A lot of that went zooming right over my head. It sounds secure and thorough, though! Lol!

Totally agree here, Walter! When I'm ready to do something with one or two external drives, I plug them in and do whatever it is I need and then promptly unplug them and put them away after that. There is absolutely no reason for me to keep a bunch of external drives plugged in all the time and to me that is just asking for trouble one way or another.....

When buying a new computer I make sure that I'm getting one with sufficient storage space from the get-go and then I work with that from there....Most of the time I keep my internal drive about only half-full, and that is all I need.

Real Name
Andy
I use a portable external drive that has the same capacity (2TB) as the internal storage in my laptop and desktop. Each of the three has an “All RAW files” folder and a “Photos” folder. From whatever computer I’m using to ingest images (desktop when at home, laptop while away), every RAW gets ingested simultaneously to the computer and the external. Any images good enough to warrant editing are considered keepers - that subset of RAWs move on the computer to the “Photos” folder. The much larger set of “All RAW files” is archived but then deleted on the computers to maintain available storage space to ingest new images. The “Photos” folder gets backed up to the archive as well, but also continues to reside on all devices.

I do what Andy does for TM. I then have a few more external drives that I use for syncing backups (files I tke off my internal drive get deleted from these) using Chronosync.

Reactions: McQ

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I use an external 2TB USB powered portable drive as my Time Machine drive. I do not leave it connected all the time. No backup is as safe as a disconnected backup. I attach it to the system, make backups, and disconnect it.

Walter, this is something I need to keep in mind, although so far it hasn't hurt me. For years I've kept my two external drives connected to my iMacs 24/7. And I kept the habit up when I switched to a MacBook Pro in November.
I do that because my TM is set to backup every day at a certain time. What that always did for me was it kept the backups small, so they went very fast.

But it's probably best I keep the drives disconnected until I want the backups to occur. I no longer have much, if anything, that changes on the computer on a daily basis any more, so there's no need to back up every day. Maybe once per week at this point.

I have one 2 TB external SSD which, although it is not plugged into my computer, sits nearby and after I have ingested and processed images, I immediately plug this drive into my computer and back up everything to it as well, so that there is at least one backup already, and then at another time when I've accumulated several files, I copy from the "master" backup to two other backup external SSDs. At the end of the month I back up everything, including data files, as well, and take a set to the bank. If I have done something important which needs to be backed up, such as income tax returns, I also go ahead and do a backup of that immediately as well rather than waiting until the end of the month for that.

Reactions: McQ
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom